Driver not working because Windows 10 inforced secure drivers signing- any work around?

Astralv

Distinguished
My $2000 Fire Wire audio interface (Presonus StudioLive 24,4.2 mixer) does not work on newly built Kaby Lake system. We have tried everything. The system recognizes the hardware, the driver gets installed but no connection to the audio interface. The tech support says- this is because Microsoft started to inforce driver signing this January and the drivers that were installed on Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10 will still work but would not install on the new Windows 10. It is devastating because I don't have another 2K to spend to replace it. They signed all drivers from the model next to my, but my driver is still not signed. It only supposed to be an issue when Secure Boot enabled, but my Secure Boot is disabled. Why do I still have problem and is there any work around? Thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for the link. The weird thing is that I can get to Startup settings but when it gets to the list of things it would do (before the numbers), it offers to restart and when I click Restart, it shuts down and does not restart. Any work around for that? Thank you.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Could be. Are you using the latest software? http://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/products/exe/PreSonus_Universal_Control_Installer-41902.exe is the latest and should work. Try reinstalling the software.
With any luck a reinstall now that driver signing is disabled will fix the problem.

Edit: I just noticed that version may not be compatible with your firmware version The verndor's site says: Some versions of UC Surface or Universal Control AI are only supported with specific mixer firmware versions. Please be sure to consult the Release Notes for both the Software and your Mixer's Firmware version to ensure compatibility between software and firmware releases.

Astralv

Distinguished
I have the UC version that supposed to be compatible with my model of the board- it is 1.7.4. The Presonus tech support says- they got version 1.8 signed with Microsoft, but not 1.7.4 which is latest for 24.4.2 9not AI) model.

I am wondering if I need to uninstall the driver and UC and install it again when signing disabled. I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times already- nothing helps.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Hopefully a reinstall will work if not since you already have secure boot disabled try "bcdedit /set testsigning on" from an Administrator command prompt than reboot If that doesn't do it contact their support again because that is an expensive device and they should support it with an update otherwise you will have to go back to Windows 8 until they do which would really suck.

Astralv

Distinguished

What is bcdedit /set testsigning on?

I completely uninstalled the Universal Control and the driver and actually uninstalled the device in Device Manager, then disabled Drivers signing check as discussed above and reinstalled. And no improvement. Still dead. So I took out the Fire Wire card, tested it n my old computer- the Fire Wire card works just as expected. My old FW card from my old computer (the same model as new card) that works good in old computer also does not work in new computer. Or should I say- the card is working, I hear "tam tam tam" sound when I connect and disconnect the mixer and the mixer becomes available under devices, so the card is working, but not the whole thing.

I can not install Windows 8 as it is not supported by Kaby Lake processor.

The tech support sent me article about drivers signing and at the end of article, it says, "Sorry for inconvenience". And I did not hear all day from them yesterday. I am sure they will blame it on my build, hardware incompatibilities, wrong drivers, Windows issues and so on.

What else can be wrong to prevent driver from working- it is ASIO driver- the audio does not even play with Windows Media Player and YouTube if Presonus selected for output. Can you think any other reason? Thank you.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
"bcdedit /set testsigning on" is another way of turning of signed Driver enforcement. Note that the bcdedit may add a watermark to the bottom right (I think) corner of Windows desktop. To disable just change on to off.
Join the Presonus forum @ https://forums.presonus.com/ maybe other users of their forum might have some other suggestions to try.

Astralv

Distinguished

cant go to their forum because my serial number is been listed invalid and I can not register the product without providing proof of purchase by mail and their forum only for registered users.

Astralv

Distinguished
You can read but you can not post. It linked to user account. If you have software, they only allow you to post in software forum, if you have mixer, you can only post in mixer forum. My account does not have my mixer registered this is why I can not post. This is frustrating. As their drivers.

Astralv

Distinguished
I have tried older driver, not 1.7.2 but 2013 driver 1.7, and it did not work. So tech support people told me not to try any other drivers because they not going to work with Win 10. Go figure. One of tech support people actually knew how to build computers and had custom built rig himself, so I hope they know what they saying, but I still did not hear from them 2nd day, not sure what they doing.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I don't know what else you could try but I would just for the hell of it give the previous driver version a try. I know it doesn't say Windows 10 however Windows 10 can use 8/8.1 drivers. Maybe you will get lucky and it will work like the guy with the SL 16.0.2 model using the previous 1.7.2 version.
http://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/products/exe/PreSonus_Universal_Control_172.exe is the link to that driver version.

I just checked and it turns out both models use the same drivers.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
For that other model they also have this to say:
PC Users - If your StudioLive 16.4.2 has a firmware version prior to 1.13, (Verify by pressing the System button on your mixer, then press the Page Down button until firmware version is displayed), you MUST install Universal Control v1.2 to update your firmware before installing current versions of Universal Control. NOTE: Universal Control v1.2 is only supported on Windows 7, Vista, or XP. Do not attempt to update firmware using Universal Control v1.2 on an unsupported operating system

Astralv

Distinguished
Tried to install UC 1.7.2 and it still not working. It is interesting what you posted. My firmware is 1.0. I remember when I bought this mixer, I had to call tech support and update firmware because something was not working on my old computer, and then it started working. So my firmware should not be earliest version. Wondering if I could update firmware on my old computer and then see if it is better. Where did you find this paragraph? Is there instruction on how up update firmware? My old computer uses 1.7.0 driver and I don't want to update it because it works. But that version is different- it opens this big mixer interface that they got rid of in updates because it had problems. I guess I need to connect it to old computer and see if there anything I can do to it. Thanks.

Astralv

Distinguished
So on my old computer, UC opens, when I check for firmware update, it says, "Firmware of attached hardware is already up to date", so with that version of UC, 1.0 is the highest it can see. I would need to know what is the current firmware for my 24.4.2 mixer. Also Presonus will likely recommend to update to at least 1.7.2 from 1.7 I have installed there and I would not do it because I don't trust them- next thing I know- nothing will work.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
The paragraph came from the support page for the StudioLive 16.4.2 version. It is pretty specific about needing Windows 7 and using UC v1.2
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046853-StudioLive-Classic-Non-Ai-Firmware-Update-Process-Troubleshooting
But I also found this http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210047023-Universal-Control-and-the-corresponding-firmware-versions and at the very bottom it says 24.4.2 UC Version 1.7.3; Driver 4.2.0: Firmware: 1.0 Build: 195. So it looks like they haven't done any firmware updates.
Atleast that is how it appears but I would send them another email and find out just to be sure.

Astralv

Distinguished
I have this:
On my old computer and mixer
24.4.2 UC Version 1.7; Driver 4.0.0:
Firmware:  1.0
Build:  194

The latest in article is
24.4.2 UC Version 1.7.3; Driver 4.2.0:
Firmware:  1.0
Build:  195

New driver is 1.7.4 and it cant see the build or anything. It was supposed to update build?

Only build changed. I doubt this is what prevents communication.

I did try this card in another computer, and the card working. You saying to try another port? Um- I think I did- I remember taking off the cover from slot.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Seems like the guy in this thread https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=19311 has it working in Windows 10. He mentions using Firewire driver Legacy version.
He is posting about a problem he is having but he has it working.

Another post mentions this also https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=21188
says "The first thing to check though is the Windows firewire driver... Find the firewire in device manager, un-install it, search for new hardware and allow Windows to re-install it but choose the LEGACY driver option."