Gaming On 4 Core vs 8 Core

Nulgath

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Hey there,

Ever since 8 Core 16 Thread CPUs came out I have been burning to know something.
Do 8 Core 16 Thread CPUs run games "that are also supported on 8C/16T" much more stable and with less heat *even if it's less performance* than 4 Core 8 thread? "basically saying it spaces the load on all cores out evenly?"
Cause I have seen that Watch Dogs 2 kills my 4790k with most of the threads at 40-60% but 1 or 2 always at 100%.

I have thought since some games are also programmed to handle 8 Core 16 Thread which means they had to somehow make it space the load o_O Otherwise it would be useless to program for 8 core support and yeah ever since no one has done this type of VS review I wanted to come here and ask away :)

ARICH5

Distinguished
you need to know how the game utilizes the other cores.
will Doom from 1994 use a amd octacore from amd?
developers will "optimize" their game to use 4 cores to minimize core overload on 1 core, its all in developing and programing

The way a program like a game uses the cpu doesn't scale 100% evenly. As you've noticed a couple of cores are at 100%, if all 4 cores aren't at 100% then that means the game is relying on just a couple of cores rather heavily. Adding more cores won't help and you'll still have 1-2 cores heavily used with the rest hardly doing anything. It won't save on heat.

On top of it despite having more cores the 8 core cpu's feature less clock speed per core so the game may actually run worse. If the game is only fully pushing 2 cores you're better off with 2 cores at 4.4ghz than 2 cores at 3.8ghz no matter how many extra cores are laying around doing little to nothing. There's nothing 'unstable' about a 4790k compared to an 8c/16t cpu, that's how the game is processed.

Crixilian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
I don't think you should get 8 cores CPU, watch dogs 2 recommend i5 or amd 8120
I saw many games CPU recommended is i7 4 cores or amd 8 cores, don't think game will utilize 16 threads unless dx12

check task manager for any high CPU usage background processes