Reboot and select proper boot device - will boot through Windows Boot Manager and UEFI OS

ngreed86

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Hi,

I turned on my computer last night and it wouldn't let me passed a black screen reading "Reboot and select proper boot device..."

I thought this might be the boot order and moved the HDD back to 1 but this does not make a difference. I then tried to force it to boot through Windows Boot Manager and this worked although the screen flickered on start up quite a lot.

As i can actually get onto the PC by forcing it to boot - is there a way I can check what is wrong? I have noticed whilst messing around that my CPU Core Speed is now at 2000 rather than 3500?!

I was looking into overclocking yesterday before being advised not to on this forum as my motherboard is a little weak but before I had the advice I had enabled OC Genie II on the control centre - could this be why? Its now off but still not working.

Parts list below ICON.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/s7wFHN

CPU - AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - RAIJINTEK PALLAS Red 56.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MB - MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory - Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU - MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card
PSU - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Any help would be massively appreciated!!

Solution
Make windows boot manager the top choice, that is how win 10 boots now. The BIOS uses the list of hard drives stored in WBM to boot from, it is different to how every OS up to windows 7 did it, doesn't do it by order of drives in the case.

Perhaps reset bios settings to default, then make sure WBM is 1st in boot and see if core CPU speed is fixed. I don't advise messing with BIOS settings unless following instructions from people you trust.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Make windows boot manager the top choice, that is how win 10 boots now. The BIOS uses the list of hard drives stored in WBM to boot from, it is different to how every OS up to windows 7 did it, doesn't do it by order of drives in the case.

Perhaps reset bios settings to default, then make sure WBM is 1st in boot and see if core CPU speed is fixed. I don't advise messing with BIOS settings unless following instructions from people you trust.

Solution