Reset my msi gaming laptop with windows 10 but turn out blue screen Error code: 0xc0000221

salmonh

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I resetted my laptop yesterday and turns out having problem with the blue screen. Kindly seeking help on getting my laptop working again. Thanks in advance.

My screen showing:

The operating system couldnt be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.

File: \\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Error code: 0xc0000221

Solution
Bug Check 0xC0000221: STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH - Windows won't go anywhere with a missing kernel

what kind of reset was it? Keep files/settings or full?
If keep files/settings you can try to use this to save stuff off PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
If it was a full reset, I would just do a clean install. I think either way its easiest fix but copy anything off C drive you want to keep

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this handy guide...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Bug Check 0xC0000221: STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH - Windows won't go anywhere with a missing kernel

what kind of reset was it? Keep files/settings or full?
If keep files/settings you can try to use this to save stuff off PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
If it was a full reset, I would just do a clean install. I think either way its easiest fix but copy anything off C drive you want to keep

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this handy guide: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue installing and reactive itself once finished.

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution

salmonh

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

I selected full reset. Was trying your solution and now having problem detecting the windows installer on my msi gaming laptop. What setting should i have to be able to detect the windows installer on my external hard disc? I tried to get the installer done through several methods on my macbook.

salmonh

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

The laptop was actually working and i was planning to reset the pc as there were too many junks on my pc. I pressed the reset your pc option on pc setting.

salmonh

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

But now i am having problem on having a blue screen. I guess i will need to boot a Windows installer but i am stuck at this part.

salmonh

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

2wganau.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
what MSI laptop do you have? Did you change boot order so USB first, hdd second? PC just blue screen otherwise as windows can't boot while its missing that file.

you might need to turn off secure boot to boot off USB. Some BIOS have a feature called fast boot which disables all USB at boot as well. I cannot tell without looking in manual

Often reset is too effective and deletes windows itself. Hence a clean install is easiest fix once we get into bios

salmonh

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

MSI GL62 6QD. Yeap i done all those things. So far i only manage to boot with the bootable usb windows os created with UNetbootin but im having the problem of it keep having 10 seconds countdown and nothing happens. Is there a very specific and detailed solutions to create a bootable windows os usb by using a mac?

salmonh

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

I dont have the disc and i bought the laptop with windows 10 being installed already. Now, im trying to figure out how successfully boot the windows installer from usb. Currently, im getting it booted with the windows installer created from UNetbootin but it stuck at saying Automatic boot in 10 seconds loop.