PC Completely freezing up when videos are playing

Firecyclones

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I built my PC from new a little over a year ago now. This past week it has been crashing at what seem like random times, but always when I have a video or Youtube running. Didn't crash at all yesterday, but it has crashed at least 5 times today while I was trying to write a Java program in IntelliJ with Youtube going on in the background. Luckily I didn't lose any work. I've been trying to figure out what is going on, but the post that sounds the most like my issue didn't have an answer or at least not one I can use (far as I know my CPU isn't overclocked..

When my computer is about to crash, whatever program I'm currently in freezes and I can't close it. CTRL+ALT+DEL stops working, my Windows bar and Start menu freeze, but I can still alt tab through other applications and my mouse still works. Eventually I'm unable to do that as well. I've tried waiting to see if Windows works itself out, but each time I've had to restart my computer.

My Specs (not completely sure how to organize this):

• Windows 10
    SSD: SanDisk Z400s 2.5" 256GB SATA III
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97
    GPU: XFX Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12
    PSU: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

I have Windows installed on my SSD if that matters. Any help at all is appreciated because I don't have the money to fix this or buy another computer/CPU/Motherboard right now.

UPDATE: So I tried the network adapter thing and updating my graphics drivers, but my computer is still experiencing crashes.

Solution
[/quotemsg]

Hello again Firecyclones

Can you please confirm if you tried using a different web browser, updating your browser, or running any PC optimization tool such as Ccleaner or Ashampoo WinOptimizer?

Cheers!!
[/quotemsg]

I've tried using Chrome and Microsoft Edge instead of Firefox. I was in the process of uninstalling Firefox and Chrome and reinstalling them to see if that helped in some way, but my computer wouldn't make it to the reinstalling part. I ended up unplugging my computer, cleaning out some dust for the second time this week, unplugging and plugging back in the cords for the HDD and SSD, removing the CPU (wanted to see if it looked damaged in some way, but it looked fine), and now the cycle of crashing has stopped. I'll download...
Hello Firecyclones

Can you please try updating your graphics driver? Also, please try the following steps:

> Right-click the Start button.

> Click Device Manager from the context menu.

> Expand the Network adapters tree from the Device Manager snap-in.

> Right-click your network adapter that is currently in use and is connected to the Internet.

> Go to Properties.

> Go the Power Management tab in the opened properties box.

> Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox.

> Click OK and restart the PC.

> Check if the issue is resolved.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

Firecyclones

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017

Sorry for the slow reply, was in class all day. I updated my graphics drivers and did as you suggested with the network adapter and I haven't crashed yet, but I didn't crash at all yesterday and crashed 5 times today so who knows if or when it'll happen. Thank you for responding!

Update: Unfortunately that didn't work. Computer is still crashing, now more than ever. As soon as I log in and get to the desktop it crashes.

Firecyclones

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Firecyclones : "PC is continuously crashing on startup and shows no signs of stopping"

I posted a thread here a few days ago asking for help because my computer was crashing when I was watching videos. Well, it has progressed to the point where my computer crashes and freezes as soon as it starts up. I have anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 seconds of time after I log in to do anything. I tried seeing what was causing the crashes in Event Viewer, but it has been crashing so frequently that I can't do that. Restarting doesn't help. I tried doing a System Restore to 2 weeks ago, but after waiting for 3 hours it didn't get past initializing. Now I'm trying a System Reset, but it has been an hour and it is still saying "Getting things ready".

Any help is appreciated because I am at my wit's end. I have to borrow my roommate's computer to type this and at this rate I'll also need to borrow it to do my classwork...

Copied from my old post:
When my computer is about to crash, whatever program I'm currently in freezes and I can't close it. CTRL+ALT+DEL stops working, my Windows bar and Start menu freeze, but I can still alt tab through other applications and my mouse still works. Eventually I'm unable to do that as well. I've tried waiting to see if Windows works itself out, but each time I've had to restart my computer.

My Specs (not completely sure how to organize this):

Windows 10
SSD: SanDisk Z400s 2.5" 256GB SATA III
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

I have Windows installed on my SSD if that matters. Any help at all is appreciated because I don't have the money to fix this or buy another computer/CPU/Motherboard right now.

UPDATE: So I tried the network adapter thing and updating my graphics drivers, but my computer is still experiencing crashes.

Hello again Firecyclones

Can you please confirm if you tried using a different web browser, updating your browser, or running any PC optimization tool such as Ccleaner or Ashampoo WinOptimizer?

Cheers!!

Firecyclones

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
[/quotemsg]

Hello again Firecyclones

Cheers!!
[/quotemsg]

I've tried using Chrome and Microsoft Edge instead of Firefox. I was in the process of uninstalling Firefox and Chrome and reinstalling them to see if that helped in some way, but my computer wouldn't make it to the reinstalling part. I ended up unplugging my computer, cleaning out some dust for the second time this week, unplugging and plugging back in the cords for the HDD and SSD, removing the CPU (wanted to see if it looked damaged in some way, but it looked fine), and now the cycle of crashing has stopped. I'll download Ccleaner and see if anything changes.

Solution