Looking for an external blu-ray player (without write ability)

dutsnekcirf

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
I have a unique requirement to find an external Blu-Ray drive that does NOT have the ability to burn/write data. I only want it to be able to read CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and BD-ROM disks or disks that have been burned already on some other burner.

The reason for this is because I need to be able to bring this drive into and out of a classified facility. Typical classified facilities won't allow an optical drive to exit the facility if it has the ability to write data to disks; it has to stay inside forever. At least not without getting special documentation signed, stamped, and notarized by top brass folks.

Has anyone seen an external Blu-Ray drive that I could purchase today that only has read capability?

I should also point out that it needs to be able to read Dual-Layer Blu-Ray disks. BD-DL I think is the designation.

Thanks in advance

There so cheap to make now that the ability to burn with them on at least some types of supported media is pretty much universal.

It just wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective to manufacturer totally read-only optical drives these days (well very few anyway).