Bumping a Post: What does that mean?

GreyCatz

Distinguished
I know that 'bumping' is against the Forum rules, but my problem is I honestly don't know what it means. Except that it's an activity that can get a poster into trouble, possibly banned, and most people seem to know what it is. If someone could offer a brief explanation I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,
GreyCatz.

Solution
Bumping is putting a comment on a post just so it shows up more recently in the forum. People do it a lot when their problems don't get answered immediately, and it just clutters up the Forum, pushing actual new posts towards the bottom of the page.
Bumping is putting a comment on a post just so it shows up more recently in the forum. People do it a lot when their problems don't get answered immediately, and it just clutters up the Forum, pushing actual new posts towards the bottom of the page.

Solution
to clarify it a bit more..

bumping alone is generally not a bannable offense and normally is subject to warnings instead. people may get escalated to a ban if they continually ignore moderation reminders and warnings about not bumping posts however although there are always very clear warnings before such actions are taken.

examples of a bump would be a post such as..

what, nobody going to answer?
come on people, i really need an answer quick

etcetera. as slumy mentioned it is a post made soley to push your thread to the top of the activity list and serves no other function as it is lacking in any information.

this is not a chat room. answers may take time depending on the time of day, where you posted, how many experts are around, etcetera. we understand that some posts may still get missed and "bumping" it to the top of the list again really is needed. however, to avoid people taking advantage of it we ask that you give the thread a bit of time to be answered and if you still get no answer you make a relevant post with more information added which is helpful to your cause instead of a "bump".

what is an example of a post that bumps a thread that still is legitimate?
of course, keeping in mind you give the thread a day or two to let people naturally respond.

while still waiting for an answer, i did some other research and limited my choices to a,b or c. i'm thinking b or c may fit my need more. can i get some opinions?
in addition to the symptoms above, i also have xyz. i have tried a, b and c since the first post and i still have no luck. help

long story short, bumping posts is not really a harsh offense but we monitor it and have rules against it to keep things from getting out of hand. you arent going to be banned for just bumping posts unless you repeatedly ignore mod warnings.