Need help on deciding on a motherboard

GooseZA

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Hi, my Mobo went out about a week ago and going to be ordering a new one soon. I wanted some recomendation or some direction from people who know more or have experiance with any of the boards i state.

I have 2 things in mind:
Switching to AMD and getting the AMD ryzen 1700x with the ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 HDMI ATX Motherboards - AMD
Reason for this motherboard is the RAM that i have currently is DDR4 Corsair dominator platinum 4x4GB sticks at 2800mhz (which is on the compatible list)

The other route is sticking with intel:
I plan to get the i7-6800k and motherboard is where i am unsure.
I am looking at these 2:
- MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
- MSI X99A MPOWER LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

The Gaming pro carbon mother board supports 2800mhz RAM (in the list provided on newegg) whereas the Mpower does not. Is this something i should abide by or does it not really matter?

Also a lot of people complain about RAM not being picked up and not posting, and also a common issue seems to be ESB ports not working. Is this a real concern i should have or just luck of the draw?

Also of those 2 which is the better choice (im big into gaming and also doing my bachelors in Game Design, currently 3rd year) Unity, Maya, and heavy rendering etc that comes with that territory is things i do a lot of. (not that the mother board does much for that but more the cpu and gpu does the work there).

These aren't the only 2 that i have my heart set on, and if anyone has any better suggestions i would be completely open. I am wanting to go with the x99 chipset, but also open to Z270 if someone is able to convince me that it is a better choice.

Like i said, if the AMD route is a good or perhaps better option i'm also open to that.

Im not a fool when it comes to computers and its components, but i ain't no genius either. And having more information never hurts. So if anyone has any recommendations ill be grateful to hear them.

thank you!

MidwestG37x

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
the 1700x & Asus 370x plus mobo combo on Amazon is only 569 for a preorder. that's going to be cheaper than a 6800K and 2011 mobo. Can't speculate on actual 1700x performance though, as there aren't any benchmarks out yet.

GooseZA

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

Yeah, so that will be a kind of leap of faith, they are promising a lot, and what they claim looks good. They both fit into my budget, so either intel or AMD price wise does not matter so much, ofcourse saving is saving, but often you get what you pay for. I have some people telling me to switch to AMD because these CPU are going to be great, and i dont doubt they wont be even if they not exactly what they claim, they still have good specs. Unfortunately time is the only issue here, i need to order soon, either order the intel now, or wait until ryzen and compatible motherboards are released and order those. i cannot however wait for them to get reviewed and wait for the general consensus on them before purchasing. For that reason, i am more on the intel side of the fence right now. My only issue is regarding the motherboards, everyone i have looked at seems to have ram or usb issues (most common issues in the reviews). So im wondering about the mobos and which is better and more reliable.