All web browsers using all of my ram

loopy654

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
For a few months now any web browser that I use on my laptop uses all the ram it can and is very slow and choppy. I have tired every fix I can find. I mainly use chrome and I have like 4 plugins for that and they're all default stuff. I didn't download anything extra. I tried the hardware acceleration thing and that doesn't work. I tried clearing all history and cached stuff and it didn't help either. I installed malwarebytes and tried to scan for stuff and it found something in my recycle bin and it's gone now but it still hasn't fixed my web browser problem.

Can anyone help me? I figured it might be a windows thing at this point but I'm honestly clueless.

Solution
I found a fix!

I'm running Windows 10 and the Xbox game bar thing was set to think that any web browser was a game. Because of this it would run the DVR in the background constantly so it ate all my ram. I just unchecked the box that said "remember this as a game" and it worked.

loopy654

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I ran a security scan with Windows defender and nothing came up.

When I opened chrome and played a video task manager says there are 3 instances of google chrome running. One is constantly at 34% of my CPU and up, one is at 9% and one is at about 2%. There's also something called broadcast DVR server using 794.3mb of my memory while one of the chrome's is ising 535mb

loopy654

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I found a fix!

I'm running Windows 10 and the Xbox game bar thing was set to think that any web browser was a game. Because of this it would run the DVR in the background constantly so it ate all my ram. I just unchecked the box that said "remember this as a game" and it worked.

Solution
Jun 25, 2018
Hi All, I have the same issue with my laptop, i only open 1 firefox tab, but in task manager it shows i opened 5 tabs. i scan with windows defender antivirus but nothing found, then i full scan with paid antivirus (trend micro), still nothing, i reinstall the browsers, same i tried the solution above but not working, may be im not doing the correct way, please help
4GB Ram, Asus X552L
600 MB memory for 1 firefox tab
400 MB memory for 1 chrome tab