I'm looking for decent gaming processor

The q6600 was a good CPU, you can find it for cheap, but don't expect it to game to well. Its 10 years old. I had 1 for the longest time and it did well in many light or older games. Now web browsing and what not it was perfectly fine, and I'd choose that over any dual core.

Yes its at 2.4ghz, you can overclock it some with your bios if your willing to learn how to, or you can get 3ghz out of it with a simple tape mod, its called the bsel mod. Free performance for an old chip. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2125877/tape-mod-bsel-mod-intel-q6600.html

MaDDD

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
If you aren't going to change anything else then the Q6600 is probably your best bet. They tend to overclock easily to 3.2 Ghz or there about with fairly cheap aftermarket coolers. I used to have a Q6600 along with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro cooler and 3.2 Ghz was no issue for it. They are quite hot CPUs though, so expect your room to heat up quite a lot.

I wouldn't think the tape mod would be too good of an idea, considering the CPU gets very hot and tape can melt.

It don't get hot enough to melt the tape, Electrical tape would melt in excess of 135C+, scotch tape is around the same.

MaDDD

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

Whilst I'll stand corrected, there still remains the risk of the adhesive residue sticking to the pins which no one could guarantee it not doing some form of harm to the CPU, if the wrong pins become bridged, there's a risk of short circuiting, the CPU itself may or may not be as stable, if too much tape is used then the CPU may not sit level in the socket, the tape method may not actually work. The list of potential issues goes on. It's much more simple to just manually overclock, providing the board allows.