Very wierd behaviour after reinstalling Windows unto new SSD

labrovsky

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
Hello all, first time poster here, would appreciate any help in this regard.

I've just bought my first SDD - Samsung 850 Evo, was very excited to try it out too. Coming from very old HDD, it was truly a miracle come true, and it was, for a first one hour of using it.

So, I've switched SATA mode from IDE to AHCI as recommended, did a clean fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD, and was really amazed at how fast it did installed and booted first time.

But then some problems came up, installed some games, playtested them, and some usually crash to the desktop without any error "programm stopped working" messages, some just freeze, so I checked the Event Viewer, and saw some things, as you can see, there's a bit too many errors for a fresh install, don't you think?

Question is, what is exactly is happening here, I'm shaking my head right now, before everything was fine, but now, after I switched to SSD, things have been pretty unstable for me. I mean, I didn't saw a single BSOD yet, no errors while doing things in Windows, but other stuff seems to crash in background, and I have no idea why.

Config:
MSI 970A-G46
AMD Phenom II X4 965
8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM 1600Mhz
AMD Radeon R9 280X
Samsung 850 Evo

All stock, no OC, would appreciate any help in this case, I'm usually a tech savvy guy in this regard, but this situation came very sudden to me, dunno if it's my RAM(probably not, before SSD everything was fine), or faulty SSD(Samsung Magician says it's in Good Condition), or it's AHCI not working currently with my setup.

Already reinstalled GPU drivers, and other things, no help sadly =/

Solution
Do you have the latest bios on motherboard? there is one from last year I can see.

So its only games crashing? PC boots fine and works normally apart from that?

Could try a clean boot - it will tell you if its windows or a start up app

Try this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
copy/paste the next command into same window - needs to be exact
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc/dism clean & fix various system files - I would be surprised if its windows causing it though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try updating chipset and sata drivers for the motherboard.

check samsung magician and run it to see if any new firmware for ssd, but I suspect your problems are the other hardware needing to be adjusted to the new speed.

Event viewer always has errors, even if PC is working fine. I don't look in it as it can just worry me.

labrovsky

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014

Thanks for your advice.

I did try to look for specific chipset driver for my board, and I didn't find any. I did however downloaded from AMD website chipset drivers, which are supplied with Radeon Software anyway, so It comes both either with automatic Windows install or directly from Radeon, either way, it's installed anyway by the time I posted the thread. Tested RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool too - everything's fine.

So far, I'm testing if this issue is still persist with IDE mode, reinstalled Windows again to see if it will perform without crashes.

Don't know what other choices do I have there other than this.

As far as firmware concerned, there's none for 850 Evo, magician tells me it's latest.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have the latest bios on motherboard? there is one from last year I can see.

So its only games crashing? PC boots fine and works normally apart from that?

Could try a clean boot - it will tell you if its windows or a start up app

Try this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
copy/paste the next command into same window - needs to be exact
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc/dism clean & fix various system files - I would be surprised if its windows causing it though.

Solution