Is a triple 32 inch setup way overkill for 4K?

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
So I'm making a og setup right and i am going to be gaming, programming and possibly rendering and editing videos, all in 4k resolution cuz why not (have the gpu for it). I just want to know if 3 32 inch monitors is overkill.

Solution
No, 32" at 4K isn't to big. It will be a bit of an investment to buy all 3 monitors but if you footed the bill for 2 Titan X's than money isn't a major concern.
1. While the 2nd card helps, SLI performance is not what it used to be with the older 9xx series and Titans with scaling substantially reduced down to an average of 150% with the newer cards. So while the Titan X will get ya by with 1 screen, it's not going to handle 3.

2. The size of the screen is meaningless, it's only the resolution that counts as far as system load.

3. We can expect that the 1080 Ti will be faster in gaming than the Titans.

4. You really do not want to throw a big investment into 4k right now as the value of everything out there right now will drop in the toilet the instant the new 144 Hz screens come out this summer as the new AU Optronics panels w. Display Port 1.4 arrive in the scene in the Asus ROG PG27UQ and the Acer Predator XB272-HDR. Expect to lay down $1200 for each of the three 27" panels.

HDR screens will have a 384-zone backlighting system / Quantum Dot filter for an improved colour palette . Reortedly, this will provide an as yet unseen level of contrast which will permit jet black areas alongside extremely bright colors. The Quantum thingie is also reported to provide increased color depth (more colors). The new panels it is said, have the ability to hit 1,000 nits of peak luminance which is 3 times higher than what we see in gaming monitors today.

However it's gotta be said ... even with (3) 27" panels... you are talking almost 7 feet wide viewing area .. @ 32", that's 8 feet. To be able to see that wide of an area, you are going to have to sit pretty far back from your screen so investing in wireless accessories or at least long cables will be another requirement.