Best AM4 motherboard for overclocking?

ramman20001

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I have decided to pre-order Ryzen's R7 1700, and as such am going to overclock it to get the most performance I can out of it. I posted this question to ask what is the best motehrboard you all think I can get based on the specs the manufactuers have released at no more than $180 and what makes a motherboard better than another at overclocking when they are using the same CPU, thanks!

Solution
$180 is a bit low for an overclocking motherboard.

What makes one better than another? A few things but majors factor are: VRM phases, 8+2 or better will get you some the most stable voltage to the CPU. Next is VRM cooling, It needs to have good heat sinks on the VRM or they will overheat causing throttling. This will at least get you started looking at decent overclockng boards.
$180 is a bit low for an overclocking motherboard.

What makes one better than another? A few things but majors factor are: VRM phases, 8+2 or better will get you some the most stable voltage to the CPU. Next is VRM cooling, It needs to have good heat sinks on the VRM or they will overheat causing throttling. This will at least get you started looking at decent overclockng boards.

Solution
We can tell you what makes a good board (like bgunner did pretty well) but no one has the boards right now to test so none of us has any concrete informaiton about which board is better until after people have the chance to test them and see what is in them.

This is the cost of buying something when it first comes out, you dont know how it stacks up to other hardware, you dont know if you are getting the best supporting hardware, and you get to be the beta tester to find all the little bugs/quirks.
THis is why I am waiting until second half of 2017 to build my new desktop because I prefer to be the educated consumer instead of being a beta tester