Advice - Years of using a 60hz TN upgrading to 144hz

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello:

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
Doesn't matter, since the monitor I'll be buying will come from the US

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor?
I plan to use it for gaming (mostly BF4/BF1 or other FPS, and games like GTA's, Hitman's, racing, etc, and photo editing (mostly Lightroom and Photoshop)

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
I'm pretty much decided with 1440p. Not really interested in 4k for a computer monitor

4. What refresh rate do you want?
I'd like a high refresh rate (144hz - 165hz, or 120hz at mininum)

5. How much are you looking to spend?
Around 800 USD more or less

6. Brands Preferred
Acer, Asus, Dell, Samsung, Viewsonic (in no particular order)

7. Brands Not Preferred
Open to suggestions

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
No. Interested in only 1 good monitor

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
Nvidia 1060 6gb at the moment, but planning on upgrading to a 1080ti . Currently using the latest Nvidia driver (378.66)

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To?
If I intend to use it @144hz I have to use DP from what I've read

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
Primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
No. Primary for desktop

I've been reading a lot about the Acer XB271HU, the Asus PG279Q, and the ViewSonic XG2703-GS (lately I've been leaning more towards the ViewSonic).
Currently I own a 22" Samsung 226CW (not the BW). I've had it for something like 8 to 10 years now (can't remember exactly). This monitor is listed as having 2ms GTG.

My first obvious doubt is the difference in miliseconds between my Samsung and any of these choices (2ms vs 4ms GTG).
In regards to this I also started to read about "input lag", and tried to find out how much "input lag" I might be used to with the current Samsung monitor (I couldn't figure it out though), in order to compare it to these options.

My main concern for making my mind up is: if playing an FPS or a fast paced game (Battlefield for instance), will I feel lag or see ghosting if I move the mouse very fast? (like when aiming for example). Perhaps I'm underestimating the newer technology vs my old Samsung, but I have no way to compare here.

Aside from that, I don't think I've ever seen an IPS panel before, compared to a TN so I don't really know how an IPS "looks". Initially when I bought this Samsung, I did it because it had/has a 97% gamut, and thought it would help with my photography workflow, but I also needed faster response times for games.

From what I've read, apparently it's might not be a very good monitor so maybe I'm used to a crap screen actually and anything might be better than this (dunno, that's why I'm seeking advice/opinion). To be honest, I never thought the colors looked bad here (I even use an ICC profile for it), but like I said I never compared it to an IPS or a "good" TN panel.

After much reading I feel more confused and undecided than before. Currently the options I'm looking into are:

IPS
Acer XB271HU

Asus PG279Q

ViewSonic XG2703-GS

TN
DELL S2716DG

ASUS PG278QR

After reading about BLB, IPS glow and dead pixels issues with these IPS AUO panels, and adding to that my fear of noticing ghosting or input lag, I also started looking into some TN options.

But honestly I can't make my mind and don't know what to do. I want to upgrade, but aside from potential BLB (which maybe I wouldn't even mind after seeing my current monitor), I really don't want to feel like I lost accuracy or responsiveness when aiming fast if any of the IPS options behaved "slower".

On the other hand I'm curious if colours on the TN's could/would be quite close to any of these IPS, but with the benefits of slower input lag or response times.

When I read this guys review on the best 27" 1440p monitors, he recommends the ViewSonic as being the best all around:
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15027-best-27-2560x1440p-monitors-ahva-ips-pls.html#post1219700

Will any of these IPS have a better input lag than my current monitor?
Will I notice a really BIG difference in colors between the IPS's and a really good TN? (and properly calibrated)

My specs just in case:
i7 6700K
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance
Samsung SSD 250GB (OS and programs/games) + 2TB WD blue (storage/backup)
22" Samsung 226CW

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to try and be as clear as possible, and thanks if you read this far. PLEASE ADVICE!!

The IPS models all use the same panel mate , so in that respect the only differences are going to be the software onboard , physical looks/build & connectors.

You will never see less than 4ms gtg rating on an IPS screen because it's impossible due to the way IPS works

Not a number you should take notice of , I massively doubt your old Samsung is really a 2ma gtg rated screen (manufacturers have their own way of interpreting these results)

TheArtista

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
@madmatt30 Thank you for answering!

I'm aware that the panel is the same in all 3 models. And I'm fine with having 4ms GTG, as long as I don't notice it! Those are basically my questions:

Will any of these IPS have a better input lag than my current monitor?
Will I notice a really BIG difference in colors between the IPS's and a really good TN? (and properly calibrated)

If you say that my Samsung isn't really a 2ms GTG, how much do you think it might be then, or how could I find out?

I know that I shouldn't give this number so much importance. I think I should take notice of input lag more than ms, but how can I compare my Samsung's input lag with any of the IPS models I have in mind?

Would you buy any of those IPS's? Or do you consider the difference between a well calibrated TN vs IPS, negligible?