game has issue when total system Ram usage hits 8.0GB , out of 32GB in system??

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Not sure if this is a specific game issue or something weird in Windows 10
Playing Gal Civ 3, and once the TOTAL Ram usage (game+ OS+services+all other apps running) hits 8.0GB, the game slows to a crawl. Cpu usage sticks at ~ 45%

Just to be very clear, I have 32 GB of DDR3 Ram installed, it is recognized by Windows.

Took notes from Task Manager Performance/Memory
#1 Fresh Boot up (power down)
#2 - Loaded slow game from last night that had TOTAL System Ram usage of 8.0 GB
#3 - After a few turns of the game
#4 SLOW GAME (after many turns) seems to be stuck on "WAIT" (5 minutes) CPU utilization ~ 45%!
#5 After game closed

------------1-----------2-----------3-----------4-----------5
"IN USE" .. 2.3 .... 6.8 .... 7.3 .... 8.0 .... 2.5 ... GB
"AVAIL" .. 29.5 .... 25.0 .... 24.5 .... 23.8 .... 29.2.... GB
"Committed" .. 2.5 .... 10.3 .... 10.9 ..... 11.8 .... 2.8... GB
"Cached" ..1.1 .... 3.8 .... 4.1 .... 5.0 .... 5.1 ...GB
"Paged" .. 249 .... 222 .... 324 .... 415 401 ... MB
"Non Paged" ..191 .... 217 .... 221 .... 276 .... 274 ...MB

Compressed = all 00000
Committed is out of 36.7GB total (I guess RAM plus page file)

Solution
It looks like you could be right, the recommended for game is only 6gb but that is questioned in this thread, it may depend on map size you choose. All 4x games or games like Civ start to slow down systems the longer you play a particular game.

That and game has memory leaks and its possible game has a max ram it can use

I assume you have it through steam so have all the patches. Seems Patch 1.9 fixes a major bug, not sure if its out of beta yet

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you changed your page file size at all? PC can run out of memory even with free ram as memory also includes page file but you only maxed out at 415mb page fle usage

I would download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike the other one, it shows the memory usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage << its likely this is where problem will show

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

it might be a driver with a memory leak, I have seen PC run out of memory with only 2gb ram used

are you waiting on a hdd to respond or an ssd? Have you got latest chipset & sata drivers for motherboard?

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
according to WIn system, page file set to ~ 4.8GB. Using SSD for OS and a separate SSD for game itself,
pretty sure now that it is just a game issue, although this is the only game I have they uses this much RAM

Colif

Win 11 Master
It looks like you could be right, the recommended for game is only 6gb but that is questioned in this thread, it may depend on map size you choose. All 4x games or games like Civ start to slow down systems the longer you play a particular game.

That and game has memory leaks and its possible game has a max ram it can use

I assume you have it through steam so have all the patches. Seems Patch 1.9 fixes a major bug, not sure if its out of beta yet

Solution