PC feeling outdated...what shall I upgrade next?

Schmidtdude

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hi everyone,
So my PC is about 4-5 years old now and I am looking into upgrading it but not sure what is most important/pressing. I generally do a lot of video gaming and video editing on my computer if that helps. (I played the Ghost Recon Wildlands closed beta and notice I was having trouble running it, which is what caused me to be here now..)

Here is what I have thus far:
CPU: Intel i5-4570 @3.20GHz
MB: ASUS B85M-G
GPU: GTX770
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blur 1TB (almost full)
SSD: Kingston 120GB (almost full)
Case: Cooler Master Case 335
Power: Antec HCG 620w

only thing holding your system back is the gtx770. get a gtx1060 or gtx1070 and you'll be good to go.

windows 10 upgrade wont be worth the cost. storage can be upgraded whenever and wont affect gaming much. on a side note, it is not optimal to keep a nearly full ssd. if you can clean the drive up, you should leave like 20% available.

You may want to wait for 3rd party ryzen reviews before making a decision. Once it's better known how they perform across the board you can compare to intel and see which will offer you the best performance for the stuff you want to do and at what price. An upgrade at this point will likely mean a new cpu, ram, motherboard. A gpu upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea either for gaming if you're on a 1080p or higher resolution screen.

Depending which route you go you'll likely want to upgrade to win10. Kaby lake 7th gen intel for example isn't officially supported on any windows os older than win10.

Throupy

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

get a GTX 1060 6gb

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I'm going to vote for video card as well and then maybe the SSD. I have a 256gb SSD and I feel the thing is way to small. I can only fit a couple AAA games on it along with my most used programs. Though I also run a bunch of minecraft server stuff off it so that could also be my issue.

If you want a 1080 wait until Nvidia announces/release their 1080ti. It should just be around the corner going off the teaser on their website.

having a game on an ssd gives almost no increased performance. don't upgrade your ssd just to install games on it. buy a 2tb hdd, move all your personal files to it and leave/install games on the original 1tb hdd. you shouldnt need more than 120gb for an os drive. it just takes some maintenance. i use a 120gb ssd for my os and a 500gb ssd just for games. the 500gb was just to improve load times. the games played no different when i had them on a hdd.

don't even consider a 1080 ti with i5-4570/8gb. you wont get the performance you are paying for. if you have that money to drop on a 1080 ti, you might as well just buy a new, more balanced system.

Schmidtdude

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

Thank you for your insight. I think I will look into getting a 1070 and also clearing up the SSD a bit or adding another HDD to the computer for more space. I moved my steam library on my HDD to lighten the load before but still got full SSD now.

Will the 1070 be compatible with my Asus motherboard?

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Yes, it will. Your decision between GTX 1060 or 1070 are depended on what resolution are you playing. If you play 1080p, then Gtx 1060 6Gb (or AMD RX-480 4Gb) is enough. If you play above 1080p, then you should go for GTX 1070.

There were another reason why you should limit to GTX 1060. See below link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s42gvVS77dU&t
i5 can barey optimized GTX 970, and GTX 1060 is already a bit more powerful than GTX 970.

SSD in game sometimes help, I experienced while doing chasing down in openworld game (GTA 4 when i experienced it) while you make sudden 180 turn, the SSD will help the system to upload the suddenly changed buffered map. Same pc, with HDD it stutter whenever i made 180 degree turn, add my first 120Gb SSD then problem gone. After that I always use SSD on my office and home pc. SSD starting to become affordable compared 4 yeras ago, 480/512Gb now can cost you as low as $120. I would recommend getting at least samsung 850 evo. Slow loading will cost you your lifetime which is much more precious than $120 and You can never get it back.

Its just my thought though.

Good luck.