Computer Freezes and have green flickers on screen.

Aavas

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I am getting this green flickers and my computer freezes for a solid 1 min. Sometimes it goes back to normal, other times it restarts itself. I don't know the where problem actually lies. Here the video of it:

Card on PCIex16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQWYBtOnb9I
Card on PCIex8 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8YGZTDZVDg

And here's my pc specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
Motherboard: Gigabyte z170X-Gaming 7
RAM: Crosair 8GB x 2 3200MHZ
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB
HDD: 500 GB 5200 RPM (This one is pretty old, and getting an EVO 850 SSD next week.)
PSU: SilverStone 500W (80 Plus)

During benchmark, such as Unigine Valley, I have a average FPS of 94 and a score around 3933, and the temperature are fine too for both CPU and GPU. But sometimes even during light task such as YouTube and internet browsing the issue occurs.

I have been here and there looking around for this exact problem but haven't been able to find the exact same issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

well yes the HDD is slow at 5200 rpm standard is 7200 rpm but if the new SSD does not fix it then it may be down to the PSU the SilverStone 500W is a tier 3 and may be the problem

PSU Tier list tier 1-2 are good for gaming
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II

GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series

Aavas

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

Update: I got my Evo 850 SSD, clean install of Windows 10 Pro, clean install of Nvidia Drivers; but still the problem exists. I can't pin point where the problem lies.

Even on some daily basic use like Youtube, the PC freezes and gives a video_tdr_failure stopcode; while stress testing it with FurMark for 1 hours doesn't give any freeze or glitches and passes all the benchmarks with normal results. Tried my card in another system and that system crashed too.

So I guess the problem lies in the card itself?? I am still not sure because it passes all the benchmarks normally.

LupineDream

Prominent
May 20, 2017
This is not really a "solution" per say but I have video failures when overclocking and using integrated graphics. The screen fills with static and video controller crashes, flickering my desktop with green garbage.

PSU tried :

Corsair ax760 - issue
Rosewell quark 1000 - issue

Ram tried:

Gskill aegis ddr4 pc2133 recommended qvl Jedec spec ram
Gskill tridentz ddr4 pc2400
Gskill ripjaws v ddr4 pc2133 recommended qvl Jedec spec ram

Motherboard test:

Orig Asus z170s
Asus refurbish program Asus z170s

Even through in corsair dominator platinum with xmp pc2666 recommended overclock timings for skylake i7

Took me $12,000 investment (yeah that's $12,000 not $1200 to get down to processor damage. Had replaced and RMA everything else up to this point.

Bios is recent version, reinstalled windows several times , done bios cmos recent and reflash too many times to count and verified it with Asus diagnositic.

Ram pass all tests.
PSU pass all multimeter and rail stability tests
Motherboard (Asus z170s) pass cmos and bios checksum tests but refuses post with more than two sticks ddr4.

Pulled cpu out of socket. (I7 6700k Skylake lga1151) Slight hairline crack in lower left corner of package.

Looked up in mapping datasheet for i7 6700k the hairline crack is right over integrated graphics controller area

Yours is most likely same as mine but yours is on pcie bus (gpu) - hardware damaged gpu component . disk access in os will continue . I tested by starting iRST raid verify. Hdd light goes solid verify continues through graphics crash and flickering green screen. After reboot I must reset back cmos and bios reset

So went and tested with multimeter on processor w/ contact pads. Providing power with jumper wire and few pads in lower right corner intermittently dropping signal due to hairline crack

This skylake was a Craigslist sell go figure.

If you got your gpu discount or late sale get another direct from vendor. Probably issue. Been dropped or manhandled wrongly