2nd build - finally abandoning XP (reluctantly) and looking for graphics art build guidance. Also considering LINUX.

unlistedmoniker

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I'm trying to salvage my case, ddr3 ram (if possible), power unit, cd drives, and ssd's while slapping in a new motherboard and cpu. The intent is solely to run the usual pap (office, firefox, etc.) and some heavier graphics drawing and painting programs, and perhaps some music processing software to record, overdub, etc. I built this unit so that I could get as much as I could without joining the "upgrade bandwagon." I have little or no need for anything I've seen added to OS's in the past 15 years. I don't, however, understand the behind the scenes changes in operating systems, so there is bound to be some performance improvements I'm unaware of. I'm also considering LINUX, but I have no real understanding of what that might mean in practical terms - i.e. does it run windows based apps? How does that choice affect software availability? So some advice on what MoBo and processor would be worth the money and some discussion of LINUX vs. W10 would be welcome. And just a note on my choice of hanging on to XP - no security issues to date. It's been just great until the software changes of the past year or so, or I'd still be planning on using it.

Just switched from XP to W10. First impression? Weird. Liked XP more. There's less differences that I expected, but then some new concepts are just hard to grasp. But I guess it's only a matter of getting used to.

well for one thing linux can run windows stuff in something called WINE

which technically isnt an emulator so doesnt suffer from a slow down like if it was being emulated

linux is very good when its all working ok

but if you for an example installed a graphics card it didnt have a driver for

then getting that driver and installing it can be much much harder than in windows

though linux also has the benefit that most versions are free

but last time i tried it when you got down to the nitty gritty a lot of stuff was still having to using command prompts to achieve some thing i wanted to do