Constant BSOD Errors

Bobby456

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I have had an HP Envy 750-167c since Jan 2016. In June I added a GTX 950 and replaced the power supply. Starting November, I recieved ~1 blue screen a month, which was usually preceded by network connection issues (Edit: The wireless dual band adapter AC-3165 typically had an invalid IP configuration). Now, I am constantly receiving BSOD - at this point, the errors are invariably occurring w/in 2 minutes of logging in (only IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, although there were still SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED errors on Friday). Who crashed suggests looking at 2 drivers - igdkmd64.sys and netwtw04.sys. When I check My Graphics and drivers (I have just enough time to do that before a crash), they are up to date. Any idea what could be causing this?
Thanks in advance.

P.S. I seem to be unable to access BIOS; whenever I try to do so, I am met with a black screen and can't do anything.

Edited

Solution
igdkmd64.sys = Intel graphics drivers. You need to remove these since you are using an Nvidia GPU now. This page shows how to remove them though since PC crashes almost right away I would do it from safe mode.
I assume you can get to the login screen? on bottom right are 3 icons, one is power. can you click it and before clicking any of the 3 choices, hold down shift and click restart
this loads advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

follow the steps in the intel link to remove the intel graphics drivers. I expect once they gone you might not get the IRQ...

Colif

Win 11 Master
igdkmd64.sys = Intel graphics drivers. You need to remove these since you are using an Nvidia GPU now. This page shows how to remove them though since PC crashes almost right away I would do it from safe mode.
I assume you can get to the login screen? on bottom right are 3 icons, one is power. can you click it and before clicking any of the 3 choices, hold down shift and click restart
this loads advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

follow the steps in the intel link to remove the intel graphics drivers. I expect once they gone you might not get the IRQ errors for one of them..

You should be able to use HP Upgrade Assistant to check your LAN drivers

Solution

Bobby456

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Thanks, will report on the results after I test it later.

Reporting results as I go through this: Entered safe mode, uninstalled intel graphics driver - restarted to finish the removal. Now in regular mode. Check device manager, intel driver is gone. Close device manager. Screen flickers twice, which thus far has always preceded a crash, but pc does not crash. Check device manager again, pc flickers a few more times, intel hd driver is BACK on the list. Uninstalled and restarted once again. Back again... however, I see a VGA driver under other drivers w/ a yellow triangle yet to it. Description also contains Intel HD Graphics - is this reinstalling the other driver? Disabled that for now. So far PC has not crashed yet, but screen flickered earlier (might have coincided with automatic reinstallation of driver). So far PC is running fine - question as of now is why did the driver reinstall itself? And should I be ok for now??
Edit: Restarted once more to double check, vga... reenables and installs the Intel adapter again???

Bobby456

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Is there a way to disable that? The computer isnt crashing anymore, so Im guessing that that instance of the adapter was either corrupt or that its completely incompatible in general. And if its the latter I dont want it to keep reinstalling

Colif

Win 11 Master
why is PC installing the Intel GPU drivers if he using a Nvidia card?

try setting Nvidia card as default: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/ and then try to remove Intel drivers again.

Bobby456

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I uninstalled Microsoft adapter, Nvidia panel wasnt working so reinstalled geforce and the latest nvidia driver. since theres only one driver rn, there is no option to prioritize which driver is to be used in the control panel. Will check again if the intel driver or microsoft adapter reinstalls. Also wushowhide is indicating that there are no hidden updates currently queued. PC seems to be working fine tho

Latest posts