Graphics card suddenly stopped working

xhicu0

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
My graphics card suddenly stopped working and I cannot figure out why. I have an AMD R9 270, and it was working perfectly ever since I got my computer a few years ago. Today I booted up my computer and everything was working fine. I went out to the store to grab something and I turned my monitor off. After coming back, my monitor is black and would not respond. So I restarted my computer, and it shows "loading windows" with the windows icon, and then it becomes a black screen again. Safe mode works perfectly, so my computer did not blow up, but I have no idea why my graphics card stopped working all of a sudden. I tried uninstalling the driver, boot windows normally and reinstall the graphics card, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure what else I can do. The only solution I can think of right now is replacing my graphics card with another.

Yes, try another video card, also test yours in another system. A clean Windows setup may be a good idea also to test with, use a spare hard drive if you happen to have one so your main build is not affected if the card still does not work on the new setup.

Chacko586

Honorable
May 19, 2016
Here is a few suggestions:

Try installing a previous driver for the card.
Check if the cable is connected properly at the ports.
Try replacing the cable.
Try using an another monitor and see if it works.
Try an another port.(eg. if using HDMI, try using Displayport or DVI)
Try disconnecting it from the PCI slot and putting it back.
Perform a proper power reset.

If all of these don't work, refresh your PC.(after backing up of course)

I hope this helps.