Clean Install Windows- how to install version before Anniversary update?

Astralv

Distinguished
I think- I lost my mind. I created Windows 10 installer USB drive in January. This morning I installed Windows and it was version BEFORE Anniversary update because later it was downloading 1607 as update.

I reinstalled several times today, few times with Internet connected, few times- with internet disconnected, and last 2 times it showed version 1607. How does it install this update? I am looking on the USB drives- all files on it from January 15th when I installed it. Nothing new got on USB drive, unless it hidden. I format the C drive every time I reinstall Win10. How can it have 1607? How do I get earlier version?

I have old DVD installation media that I created in July 2015. Can I use that one? That was before Aniv. Update. Or will it be too old and not install correctly?

I am sooo frustrated- it is in another thread- I have this 2000$ audio equipment that would not work with 1607, and today I actually made it work (discussed in my other thread), but then I reinstalled again and now it some how installs 1607. How does it gets there? And can I use old DVD from summer instead? Thank you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jan 15 what year? If this year, its got 1607 on it as it was released July last year.

Have a look at this link for the November 2015 version of win 10: http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-th2-u2-download-build-10586-164/windows-10-th2-u2-iso-download-standard/

I wouldn't go any further back.

It appears you cannot get it direct from Microsoft anymore so it might help to check file you get versus Microsoft file checksum integrity verifer

Astralv

Distinguished
I have July 2015 ISO and July 2016 ISO. Then I have USB drive installer that some how installed earlier than 1607 version, because I saw it downloading updates, but now it installs 1607. And I have USB I made last night with files updated in November 22 according to Installer, also files look as if they were from July. Other words- I created it last night, the files dates are from July but when installing, it says, "Updated November 20, 2016."

Can I install July 2016 or 2015?

Colif

Win 11 Master
July 2015 is the release edition, and I have seen people have problems updating it to anniversary
Nov 2015 is the 2nd version released and it would be ideal to install now as its not as old as original (this is what I linked to above)
July 2016 is Anniversary edition and not what you want to start on
April 2017 isn't here yet but will be the next version

Nov 22 2016 is the current version as they release one every 8 months or so.

Ideally neither of the ones you showed, you should use the Nov 2015 version as its the version before the anniversary edition.

Astralv

Distinguished

Thank you for your reply. You saying that Anniversary addition was released in July 2016? I thought it was later than that as my computers did not start to act out until Fall.

I have no way to get earlier version. I will not be installing from some unknown source other than Microsoft, so I guess... if you saying that July 2016 is already 1607, then I should go with July 2015... This is frustrating.

How many times Samsung M.2 can handle Windows reinstall? It been like 7 or 8 already. Is it bad for it?

Astralv

Distinguished

Yeah, I did see it. It is a bootloader- that thing they created Secure Boot functionality to fight with. I am not comfortable to install and use it, but thank you.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
You can install a bootloader called NeoGrub with it but we are not going to do that. We just want it to change Windows bootloader to always disable driver signing. So all it will do is add to the Windows BCD entry the switch to boot with driver signing disabled.

You could try bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON from an Administrator command prompt which may actually add the switch that EasyBCD adds. To open and Admin. command prompt right click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)

If you are using Windows 10 Pro than this option may work
1. Right click on Start --->> Run ---> GPEdit.msc
2. Enable and Ignore Code signing for drivers policy under User Configuration --->>
Administrative Templates ---->> System ---->> Driver Installation --->> Code signing for drivers
Double click on Code signing for drivers than Enable it than under Options below where you enable it there is a drop down box set it to Ignore. You could also use Warn and it will warn you the driver is unsigned but allow you to proceed.

There are a lot of clubs that host different versions of Windows 10 on the cloud. I have about 12 different versions of Windows 10 myself, half of them are pre-anniversary editions. You just need to find a person that is willing to let you have a copy of a pre-anniversary edition and then keep your computer completely off any network.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I realised you might not trust the source i gave you, its why I also linked to a MS program that can check the files contents are correct. If I could find an alternative I would have offered it up. If it was a windows update you could have used the windows update catalog

I have asked elsewhere as well as someone may have a copy of ISO themselves they can share. I think I had it on PC for a while but deleted it as I might need that 3gb of space it was using up one day.

easybcd appears to just be a gui that enters the bcdedit commands for you, I don't know what command it would enter to achieve its goals

Astralv

Distinguished

I looked at that link- I could not figure out what it was. Some languages updates... We usually dont want to install even one small program that can be "backdoor" or part of malware. I hardly would agree to install 3GB of something that came from some bootleg website. Had enough anxiety with Tonymacx86.

What files would I need to check?
If I did not reformat that one install that worked... What I am trying to understand is why at least 2 installs out of 8 I did had no issues installing the driver. In fact- first time I installed this update, I was installing presonus and uninstalling it like 75 times and it had no issues. I remember seeing Universal Update downloading and installing, so why is it installing it by default only 5 times out of 8 and how to make it to install earlier version?

I did change settings for Secure Boot. I had it set to "Other OS" and I changed it to something else that compliant with secure boot. You said- something supposed to overwrite secure boot. May be it does not.

What if I delete Secure Boot keys? Are you sure it is not what checks for drivers signing?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
was offering ideas to colif of where you may find an older iso but then i just remembered that you can (well could in the past) turn off driver signing for win 10. have not done it since earlier builds but it may still let you do it. here is a link that describes the process.

http://windowsreport.com/driver-signature-enforcement-windows-10/

this should turn off driver signing so you can use your hardware with the newer win 10 build. assuming driver signing is the problem, which is how i am reading the problem.

or is the problem, that for some reason, the drivers don't work on the newer build despite installing?

Astralv

Distinguished
The problem with driver discussed in this thread. I did not mean to have multiple thrads about the same problem- this thread is about finding the older version of OS.
This thread is about the driver problem. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3339237/driver-working-windows-inforced-secure-drivers-signing-work/page-2.html#19355906

What interesting is that at first the driver was installing but not working. There was no message about driver signing for like several weeks. Then I reinstalled OS. Then somebody figured out that it was FireWire driver issue. We installed Legacy driver for FW and then the resonus driver installed correctly. I should of kept that install but the Windows install did not complete as expected so I went on and reinstalled Windows. After that, the driver would not install and give me a message that Windows blocked it because it not signed. What I dont understand is why it did not say it in the past and how it installed at least once. Looks like there were couple of times when it installed other version of W10, not 1607.

I can turn off driver signing but only for one restart. It takes too many steps and it too difficult to do every time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft announced one year before the Anniversary edition that they were going to turn on the service that checks the driver signatures at boot. So the companies couldn't say they didn't know it was coming. It was up to them to update software before the time came. Samsung and a few others just ignored it and caused fun for their users for a while this year.

As I said in that thread, if you had the driver installed before the Anniversary edition, it just doesn't check the drivers signature as I have unsigned drivers on my PC now. But if you fresh install 1607, it suddenly requires drivers to be signed.

So the idea was to dl the November version, install drivers and then update to 1607 afterwards.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You cannot officially get the update from MS anymore so regardless of the source you use, you would have to trust them.

At this point, I think you are best using the DVD you have from June 2015 and upgrade from there. I cannot offer any other sources for the updates.

I did ask for help elsewhere but since its not officially available, I cannot give you another source for the November update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
threshhold 2 is only 10586 with patches, those patches will be in a cumulative update anyway. And I expect 1607 will be an update available anyway and its got all those patches built in - its why they release a new version every 8 months, it keeps the patches to a minimum over time - we never have 216 updates to download like win 8.1 had at one stage.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I prefer it the way they do it now. Remember near the end of Windows XP? I only had a 4Mbps internet than and it took hours and a few reboots to finally get it fully updated. I don't miss those days at ALL.

TRENDING THREADS