can not find my usb mouse

Sagy_1

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
i have a usb mouse then i plugged it into my laptop it lights up but does not work andi can not find it i can only find the touchpad.

[OS = Windows 10]

Solution
Any mouse regardless of brand should work as a basic mouse (ie 3-button functionality) without external drivers. They're usually only required to support the extended/non-standard features of a particular mouse in my experience.

You may need to reboot your laptop with external mouse plugged in, try that.
Or maybe the touchpad has to be disabled.

On my laptop I don't have to do either of those things, but not every laptop behaves in the same way with external hardware.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it a brand name mouse or generic? Just wondering if it has its own drivers that need to be installed for it to work,

is this a laptop?

does it show up under devices and printers? have you tried different usb ports? have you tried mouse on another PC?

Any mouse regardless of brand should work as a basic mouse (ie 3-button functionality) without external drivers. They're usually only required to support the extended/non-standard features of a particular mouse in my experience.

You may need to reboot your laptop with external mouse plugged in, try that.
Or maybe the touchpad has to be disabled.

On my laptop I don't have to do either of those things, but not every laptop behaves in the same way with external hardware.

Solution