I want to play resident evil 7 on an old pc

cramerklontz

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
So I have a computer,

amd phenom II x4 980 black
amd radeon hd 6800 1 gb
8 gb ram (not sure on speed cpu-z says nb frequency 2004.9mhz )

I bought it off a buddy and I want to play some games. Mostly re7. Should I just get an xbox one or upgrade this thing. Im afraid that I'll have to upgrade the cpu/motherbord/ buy windows and it won't be worth the money. I'd also like to play the new doom, elite sniper 4.

So upgrade or console gaming?

Neither, unless you can wait for the Xbox Scorpio end of this year and it lists for no more than $600. It will have 980 Ti level graphics power. It will also support keyboard and mouse.

If you had to buy everything including OS, $600 probably wouldn't go as far with a scratch built PC. Most everything in that rig you bought needs upgrading, so it's not a much better scenario.

That said, if by end of this year you can amass at least $700, a custom built PC from parts you buy would be best option.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah any upgrade would be a total rebuild as a new cpu won't work on the old mobo, new mobo means new ram and so on. may as well do a fresh build if you want or go with the console. nothing wrong with consoles, they do what they are designed to do well. and at the lower budget actually maintain their performance longer than a really cheap pc.

no idea what kind of a budget you have but by reusing things like your case, monitor, mouse and keyboard, you can do pretty well for $5-600. maybe less depending on your goals. some really nice low cost chips have hit the market that perform pretty well. would have to look at minimum requirements for the games you want to play but likely for $600 (including win 10 key) you could get a whole system that leaves room for upgrades down the line.

cramerklontz

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
thanks for the replies. all the games i want to play are on xbox one and they are 250 used at gamestop. this is what i was thinking but you all helped confirm that. my main concern is just playing some new games, not really worried if they look 100%.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
consoles actually get better as they age, where pc's get worse as time goes by. developers get better and better and are bale to squeeze more out of a console. this is why a new game can play on a 5 yr old console when a 5 yr old pc would struggle if be able to play it at all.

they do have advantages for sure. one is of course cheap used games are readily available :)

I'd argue the consoles don't really get better, the developers just start cutting more corners off their games to improve graphics at any cost until the games are only barely playable at which point they all demand a new generation be launched post haste. That's why most games at the tail end of the 360/PS3 lifecycle ran at sub HD resolutions and tended to average 25FPS or lower and FPS games had massive weapon models and ran with a 65 FOV to get less stuff on the screen. You'd probably argue that a game in that state would be considered unplayable on PC, but that's what developers got away with doing on consoles. Given how the PS4 and Xbox One currently struggle to hold their 30FPS targets a lot of the time, I imagine that by the time they are five years old in late 2018 they're going to be in a similar state as late 7th gen.

A five year old console can still play new games, but you have to do so with drastically lowered expectations, same as if you were playing on a five year old PC that hasn't been upgraded in the interim.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
same lowered expectations you'd have to have for building a console priced new pc as it seems the op would be looking at. i'd take an XB1/ps4 over a $4-500 pc. especially since you can do so much with them now. they are your streaming box and so much more on top of gaming.

so might not get all the same fps and such that pc gamers get all e-boner over, but to an average user, they look and play great if you don't get hung up on performance specs and settings like pc gamers do.

i play both and have never felt a game on a console was somehow inferior in gameplay. but to each his own i guess. i'm not a pc gaming elitist. especially now that they all use the same deployment model. which is to say a half finished game on day 1 with tons of patches in early days, followed by tons of dlc down the road. so you get the same nickle and dime money grabbing techniques either way, for a game that rarely feels finished even a couple years down the line ;)