Computer Randomly turning off

MrRussellLuther

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
For the past 2 weeks or so my computer has been randomly turning off. There is no BSOD or error message, just one second having fun, and the next a black screen. After the computer turns off It will immediately (sometimes it turns off for a minute with the power button not working) before turning back on again. The reason that I find it completely random is I can be playing games for an hour with no problems, but sometimes i I can't have my computer on for more than 10 minutes without it crashing multiple times.

Things I've tried:
Turning off my CPU Overclock, underclocking CPU (No effect in either case)
Running windows memory diagnostic (no errors)
Checking Event viewer (Error 41: Unexpected shut down. nothing else logged)
Monitoring Temp / utilization of CPU and GPU (Both stable around 40 degrees CPU while idle ~20% utilization)

I'm usually pretty good about solving these things but I have no idea where to even start. My best guess is it could be a PSU Problem? My PSU is only two years old so I would be surprised if that was it.

Since I'm currently in my college dorm I don't have much in terms of spare parts to test / troubleshoot with, but later next week I will be returning home where I have an old PSU laying around. I plan to bring this PSU back to college and see if it will solve the issue but I'm looking for any guidance with this issue.

Specs
MB: Asus VII Hero
CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: Evga 780Ti ACX
Ram: Can't remember the name but HyperX 1333mhz 8gb x 2
PSU: Corsair rm750

Any help / steps / tips would be appreciated

MrRussellLuther

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

That seems like a pretty integral issue...
Is there anything I can do to fix it? Or is it something that I will need to replace the entire PSU. Another question is why I've only experienced this issue in the past couple weeks? I guess I was just lucky.

If the first four digits of the PSU's serial number is less than 1341 then you own one of the PSU's affected by a recall.

Test your system with a different PSU. If the problem doesn't happen anymore then you have some evidence to initiate an RMA with Corsair to have your RM750 replaced (i.e. will most likely will be replaced with the new RM750x since the RM750 isn't made anymore).

MrRussellLuther

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Unfortunately my PSU Serial Number is 1532..., so it looks like I'm outside of that recall. I did a little bit more research into the issue that those users were having and it is EXACTLY the same thing that I've been experiencing. Think it would be worth contacting Corsair Customer Support about? What I'm afraid of is me sending in my psu just to find out it was an issue with something else.

That's why you need to test your system with a different PSU to determine whether or not it is the cause of the issue. With some evidence you can make a better case to get it replaced.