CRT TV triggering Geiger counter WHILE UNPLUGGED?

troy1960

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
So i have this neat little mini geiger-counter, so one day i was curious and started scanning across my house. One thing that really scared me though was that my old CRT TV(2011 Pixar Cars CRT+DVD combo) that my dad gave me when i was younger actually emitted some sort of radiation, although it was unplugged and wasn't been turned on for almost a month. Also, when i point my iphone at it in slow motion mode(240fps) it shows a 50-60Hz like humm in the LED(That's what the geiger counter uses to show off radiation levels). Why is there a radiation being emitted while the boxy tv is unplugged? There should be no transformers or capacitors running since it has been turned off for almost a month now. I'm actually scared.

Solution
Without knowing exactly what kind of radiation you are picking up it's impossible to tell if there is any danger associated with it. It's also possible you are getting false positives.

Alpha particle radiation is fairly harmless and can be blocked by something as simple as a sheet of paper. So try holding a sheet of paper between the Geiger counter or phone and the TV. If you don't get a detection it's probably harmless.

Beta particle radiation is more dangerous and Gamma particle radiation is the worst kind.

We are exposed to radiation all the time. A dental X-Ray is radiation. Even flying in an airplane exposes occupants to higher levels of radiation. Particles coming from the sun and stars can pierce the aluminum skin. I'm not...
Without knowing exactly what kind of radiation you are picking up it's impossible to tell if there is any danger associated with it. It's also possible you are getting false positives.

Alpha particle radiation is fairly harmless and can be blocked by something as simple as a sheet of paper. So try holding a sheet of paper between the Geiger counter or phone and the TV. If you don't get a detection it's probably harmless.

Beta particle radiation is more dangerous and Gamma particle radiation is the worst kind.

We are exposed to radiation all the time. A dental X-Ray is radiation. Even flying in an airplane exposes occupants to higher levels of radiation. Particles coming from the sun and stars can pierce the aluminum skin. I'm not sure how the carbon fiber being used in today's newer airplanes handles it. Crew members have to wear dosimeters when they are flying to track their exposure.

There's been a bit of controversy lately about what level of radiation exposure is dangerous.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130813201434.htm
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110920163320.htm

Solution