dual monitor setup specifically using Gtx 1070 as primary gaming monitor and Intel HD630 as secondary minimal work monitor

My computer specs:

Case: Fractal R5
Motherboard: asus z270e
CPU: i7 7700k – no overclock
Ram: gskills ripjaw V 16gb @ 2400mhz with Xmp enabled
GPU: evga 1070 ftw
PSU: Evga supernova 650 gs
Storage drive: myDigital 480gb nvme mlc ssd
CPU fan: noctua nhd15
Case fan: 2 included fractal fans + 2 corsair AF140
Operating system: windows 10 pro
Monitors: 24in 1080p 144hz gsync enabled acer predator xb241h TN for gaming + hp 27es fhd ips for browing/videos/minimal load tasks

Recently I asked the community about setting up dual monitors; the primary monitor will be connected to discrete gpu and secondary monitor will be connected to integrated gpu. For the questions I asked, I felt I didn’t get a good answer. Here is the link to that thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3344350/dual-monitor-setup-acer-predator-xb241h-144hz-monitor-27in-1080p-60hz.html
I hope with this discussion we as a community will better help those who are in similar situation.
So I went ahead and set it up. After starting the computer, I went into the BIOS --> advanced --> system agent --> graphic config.

W/in the graphic configuration, the settings I changed were:

Primary monitor: PEG (PCI Express Graphics another way of saying discrete graphics) bc I wanted the primary monitor to be the acer gaming monitor

Multi monitor: Enable (note: bc I chose PEG to use for the primary monitor the secondary monitor will automatically be the hp monitor)

RC6 (render standby): Enable (this is needed b cur using integrated graphics also)

Shared memory (cant remember the exact name but this option ranges from 64mb to 1024mb): I chose 1024mb

Saved and restarted. I did some testing to see performance and temperatures. I played Dawn of War 2 retribution last stand on ultra settings on the primary monitor and I capped the fps@75 using rivatuner (bc this particular game is not optimized for gysnc and for that matter at high fps). I played 2 games which in total lasted about 40 minutes. For this length of time I watched a movie on the second monitor. I setup the movie first before I started gaming. With this setup, I noticed my 1070 was being utilized more ( I don’t have the exact numbers, I will post them in a day or two after getting more data). My fps didn’t take a hit at all. I think the fps was stable bc. 1070 is a powerful wanker, it can maintain over 100fps @ultra settings on a 1080p monitor. Also gpu core temperature increased by 2 C to 4 C (again I don’t exact numbers, ill post them in a day or two).
You might ask why am I worried about small performance hit. To put it simple, I’m worried about the longevity.

For the discussion, here are my questions/scenarios”

Why was there a performance change when I was running both monitors separately? I mean after all we all know the performance takes a hit, had I connected both monitors to the 1070.

Even before I started gaming, I noticed just browing/doing anything on the second monitor made the 1070 gpu usage go up. Why is this?

Also, I noticed that when I opened, say for instance a browser, in the primary monitor and dragged it to the second monitor, the 1070 usage went up, albeit not much. Why is this? I thought they render separately, after all I set up the whole thing so I can do separate things without loosing performance. Why is the 1070 being utilized at all?

Do you guys think maybe the shared memory had any say in this? I mean I did set it to 1024mb. What do you guys think if it had been set to 64mb instead?

This is my first discussion forum :pt1cable:. So please let me know how I could improve, i mean ill take it with humility even if you had to say "Fuck this stupid wanker! It's too fucking long and vague! He fucking wrote it like a sheila, doesn't know what the fuck he's saying". Thanks guys :)
3 answers Last reply
More about dual monitor setup specifically gtx 1070 primary gaming monitor intel hd630 secondary minimal work monitor
  1. Regardless of the monitor being connected to the igpu or both to the dgpu, all gpu acceleration is done by the main gpu. The igpu is simply acting as a passthrough here. There are software that will use it but that depends on the software having the option. I've only seen it on renderers and computational software. The main gpu is set by which monitor is set in windows. What you set in bios as primary only pertains to what monitor bios will show on. I think that answers it all besides the shared vram which is irrelevant but you can set it to minimum so it's not taking ram.
  2. k1114 said:
    Regardless of the monitor being connected to the igpu or both to the dgpu, all gpu acceleration is done by the main gpu. The igpu is simply acting as a passthrough here. There are software that will use it but that depends on the software having the option. I've only seen it on renderers and computational software. The main gpu is set by which monitor is set in windows. What you set in bios as primary only pertains to what monitor bios will show on. I think that answers it all besides the shared vram which is irrelevant but you can set it to minimum so it's not taking ram.

Hmm so how is it possible to make the integrated gpu work alone instead of a pass through?

After all, I set up the dual monitor with the thought that they will work interdependently of each other. This is so the dGpu can work without any performance interruptions.
  3. As I mentioned, there is no way unless the software let's you choose. The performance shouldn't be affected for such trivial tasks. This should be seen by you having no fps decrease.

I guess I forgot to mention, it makes no difference to longevity since that seems to be your main concern. The only concern to longevity is if you plan to play games 24/7 with high temps. Keep the temps/voltage in the safe range and enjoy your parts for 10+ years. They'll tend to outlast their usefulness if you don't push them to their limits a lot. You went with quality parts so you shouldn't have to worry about premature death from quality issues.

Also not using the igpu is more efficient. Less power usage which also means lower temps on the cpu, and less work (both software and hardware usage) by other components having to control the igpu and passthrough process.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Temperature Monitor Intel Dual Monitors Gtx Performance Monitors Temperature