LED inside the monitor blinks at certain colors displays

Autobot2000

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017
I walked into my local thrift store and i saw a 27in LG monitor there. I thought it prob doesn't work or even come on but i plugged it in to a test strip they have and it powered on fine and even showed the no signal screen cause of course i was not able to plug it into a computer there. So i thought ok its a gamble at this point and picked it for 15 dollars.

When i tested it out on my PC it would come on for what seems like half a second showing my desktop and then go black for 10 secs and again flash my desktop for half a second and repeats. So i thought its a bad capacitor that might need replacing. Checked them and they all looked fine. Tested the AC cord it came with to the multi meter and tested fine read the correct voltage. Order a replacement board instead of trying to solve if it was a bad capacitor (the ones on the board seem little out my league to replace). And even the replacement board does that same thing. So im stuck in thinking maybe the LED strip inside the monitor is bad??? I have a VGA tester i bought to test out monitors and such and it can cycle threw some settings to display colors and lines so when i get to setting that are darker in color and not so bright it doesn't not blink it will stay solid. So its is possible for the LED strip in the monitor to go bad to where if given to much power it will flash very fast and go off for a bit and repeat?

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried connecting the monitor to a system that is running on an old version of Windows , since the latest OS from Microsoft apparently tries to install drivers it thinks are the best and can exhibit the same flicker you're seeing on system's that ran perfectly fine. I'm assuming at this point since you didn't mention the specs of the system you connected the newly purchased monitor to.

Could you also state the model of the display you purchased?

Autobot2000

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017

The monitor is a LG 27ea31v-b

I have not connected to older version of windows, the only thing i have in the house atm that has an old OS is a laptop somewhere with XP on it.

The monitor is not new its from a thrift store that i was able to least plug it in and see if i got a power signal, and i did and it displayed the no connection image. So at that point i thought its was a 50/50 gamble it would work if connected to a PC.

I have since then taken the monitor apart so only the LEDs bulbs inside are showing. I then plugged it in to a PC to see if it was a single or few LEDS that are blown but again the quick half second of LED flash is all i get. Once i disconnect the monitor from the PC its stays on but i think in a lower power consuming mode.

I have tried 2 internal boards and getting the same results. I have a vga tester i since bought to test future monitors i might find in my travels to thrift stores.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-VGA-Signal-Generator-LCD-Tester-15-Signal-Output-USB-Battery-Power-Supply-New-/122281055562?hash=item1c7884d54a:g:Q3sAAOSwKVNYXHvb

When i use the VGA tester on this monitor and cycle thru the settings it will stay on, on what i would call lower power consuming modes, modes that do not show bright colors.

What i have tested so far is the AC power with a multi meter and get the right voltage, and used 2 boards getting the same results. The only things i can come up with is, either both boards are bad or the LED strip in the monitor is failing and when given to much power or should say given a high level of power to display a brighter image it then does the half second blink to black screen problem.

Thanks for your time.