Veracrypt ruined my hard drive

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
First. I did 2 restarts after installing veracrypt, first was great, no problems. But when I restarted yesterday, it didn't go through. The lights on keyboard and mouse were off after entering the password, then I found this thing: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71363-system-reserved-partition-delete.html and... deleted the 100mb partition. Then I followed the instructions further, restarted the comp, and now I have only 2 options: troubleshoot and turn off the comp. Second. Before encrypting, I created the disk image, but have no idea on how to make it work. Also, I would strongly prefer to repair this partition, so that I didn't have to use the older image, something like, mid Feb.

Is there anything I can do? I tried auto repairing, nothing. Bootrec in comments - nothing. As the last option, how do I install the disk image? And why does it change the drive letter when I insert the windows install disk?

P.S. this bootrec repaired the 100mb partition, but still, it won't turn on.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I encrypted it. And it seems to me, I had to delete that 100mb partition beforehand, but I didnt

Update: how do I mark the partition as NOT primary? I have 2 primaries now that's why

The 100MB partition is probably the system reserved which you wont want to delete. If you plug that drive into another computer that has veracrypt installed you will be able to mount the volume and retrieve the data and possibly decrypt it (with your password of course). You can also use the disk image (should be an ISO) and burn that to a CD and boot from there to decrypt the data as well.

It is possible that your disk was on the verge of failing and going through the read and write intensive operations of encryption it pushed it to its limit.

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I updated my previous post, but just so that everybody could find it: I have 2 primary partitions now. How do I mark the main partition as secondary?

And no, the hdd is only 2 years old, a little more. No too much intensive read/write operations