Windows 10 became wierd after format

MSH3L_

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
I decided to format my G551VW Asus laptop so I installed windows 10 again through usb boot.

After the installation I downladed all neccessary drivers and everything is good, but I notice some delying when I click start, control panel, also A massive frequent disconnicting from wi-fi, I'm not expert but I think It's something gotta do with my hard drives, this is a picture of my disk managment tell me if you notice anything wrong

148839052164031.jpg

My specs:

CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 960M
RAM: 16GB
STORAGE: 128 SSD, 1TB HDD

Solution
Okay then, how about backup everything off C you want to save, and fresh install win 10 again but this time do a custom install and delete all the partitions on both hdd& ssd leaving 2 drives with unallocated space only, then make sure to choose the ssd and click next

if you unsure, follow this guide, I am referring to step 12; https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

it should look like screen below but have 2 drives with unallocated space
5408d1412182997-clean-install-windows-10-a-5_install_windows_10.jpg

drive size will show which is ssd

I cannot guarantee it won't repeat this but it hopefully won't. It should fix the strange behaviour in...

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, its put the boot partition on the hdd, i guess its hard to avoid on a laptop (normally a good idea to have only 1 drive in PC when you install win 10 or it shares itself around like it has). That shouldn't really slow down operation, its just different. its formatted as MBR which seems odd for a win 10 PC but not really a source of problems

drive looks okay for what it is.

You ran Asus Live Update to check drivers?

MSH3L_

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

so you say my windows is booting through hhd instead of ssd o_O ?

Haven't checked asus live update it might be a good idea ..

I'll let you know

Colif

Win 11 Master
Was windows originally on the hdd? If windows had ever been on the hdd its possible it had an MBR partition already and Win 10 will use one if its there on another drive when you install it.

If it was always the ssd, Its possible its just how Asus set it up, its just strange.

Your Boot partition is on the hdd but windows is on the ssd, I don't know enough about legacy boot to know if that would cause anything other than a potentially slower boot. It does mean that if you remove the hdd at any stage or it stops working, the ssd won't boot.

I assume you downvoted me by mistake? Its not big deal, just curious :)

MSH3L_

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

As a matter of fact I did accidently installed the windows 10 in my hdd few days ago, And I had to migrate OS to SSD through a wizard-something tool I don't recall it's name, I'm very sure I missed things up at the time :D eventually the migrate didn't work, So I decided to boot the windows 10 installation and then select the HDD and then "Remove", then I installed OS in my SSD.

And my deepest apology I must've accidently downvoted you :(.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that explains that then.. if you ever remove hdd or it stops working, there is a way to fix the boot so its not a major thing. I have never used cloning software myself, If it was a fresh install I would have just started again and made sure windows was on the ssd, One way to avoid it using other hdd is for the other drive to not have any unformatted space on it.

did Asus live update help with the actual problems you had?

MSH3L_

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

well I guess I'm regreted for using cloning software.

sadly Asus live update didn't help, it says no updates.

I have this system reversed disk, may it's the one causing problems?

71cc6df3fa5d4fd3a4d22fb533c16d07.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmm, system reserved shouldn't have a drive letter or show in file explorer. its hidden for a reason. I wouldn't touch it.

what program did you use to migrate the install?

can you take hdd out of PC?

What i would do is copy all your documents and files you want to save onto the hard drive into the empty partition (E drive), turn off & unplug PC, take the hdd out of PC and reinstall win 10 onto ssd without hdd in it. once win 10 boots fine off ssd, turn off & unplug PC again and reattach the HDD, go into BIOS and make sure hdd isn't in boot order, and restart PC.

Then just move files around as you desire - i would leave all documents, music, pictures, movies on the hdd and just point the library folder location at the current folders. Its what I do.

MSH3L_

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Unfortunitley I have a G551VW laptop, so no I can't take off the HDD.

I'm suspecting a file who corrupt things, because now I'm having a dead start menu, and sfc /scannow didn't solve it, also reset windows didn't solve it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay then, how about backup everything off C you want to save, and fresh install win 10 again but this time do a custom install and delete all the partitions on both hdd& ssd leaving 2 drives with unallocated space only, then make sure to choose the ssd and click next

if you unsure, follow this guide, I am referring to step 12; https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

it should look like screen below but have 2 drives with unallocated space
5408d1412182997-clean-install-windows-10-a-5_install_windows_10.jpg

drive size will show which is ssd

I cannot guarantee it won't repeat this but it hopefully won't. It should fix the strange behaviour in windows now.

Solution

MSH3L_

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Impressive!, I don't know why is this idea didn't cross my mind.

I removed every single disk during windows setup leaving the 2 unallocated disk's, then I selected the SSD drive to install windows 10.

now my windows works like a charm everything is working smoothly.

thank you so much buddy :)