Windows 10 os wont boot, many fixes did not work.

hillelslovak

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
http://

Rig above, swapped in 2-3tb Toshiba internal hard drives, an r9 380x gpu, Asrock H170m mobo, G Skill 16gb ddr4 ram, i5 6600 cpu.

Ok, yesterday I upgraded my psu, and I was hearing a whirring noise. I isolated it to my older 3tb hard drive. I turned the pc off, removed the little frame from inside the pc that contains two of my 3 hard drives. I had these two hard drives on top of the paneling, so I could hear it outside of the computer. However, after a couple minutes, I bumped a sata cable that connected to the hard drive with the os, which was not a snug fit at all, and it slipped out. The windows background turned black, and I shut the pc off as quick as possible with the power button.

Upon booting up again, it appears that the partition that has all of my boot stuff for the os was turned into raw format. I viewed, using a bootable usb's command prompt, the drive, and the primary drive is still listed as ntfs.

I have tried every solution I could. I used chkdsk to diagnose and repair files overnight, but it did not work. I tried to repair the startup, cant refresh or restore the os, no system restore point or disk image. Tried refreshing the mbr, did not work. Now, in my bios, I have 2 windows boot managers, along with one listed as os uefi or something.

I figured I would just clean install windows 10 onto my other 3tb, as it just contains a bunch of movies and tv shows, games, that can be redownloaded. I cannot clean install onto any of my drives, however, as the setup says it could not find or format any partitions.

My cousin told me about testdisk. Is that a reliable method I can use? Can I make a bootable testdisk usb? If I cant repair the boot partition of my c drive, how can I get my clean install on the other drive to go through?

Any help getting my pc booting and coil whining as normal would be extremely appreciated.

Solution
Here are steps, how to fix bootloader partition without reinstall:
1. Disconnect all your secondary drives leaving only OS drive;
2. Boot from windows installation media;
3. Use diskpart to format your bootloader partition (into fat32 file system);
4. Run startup repair after that;
5. Remove windows installation media, reboot and check if windows boots normally;
6. I it doesn't - then boot from windows installation media again, go to command prompt and execute
  • bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

USAFRet

Titan
Testdisk has nothing to do with this. Ignore that.

Remove ALL drives except the one you want the OS on
Boot from your Windows install media
When it asks where, select Custom
You will be presented with a list of all partitions on that drive
Select each, and Delete.

Proceed on, letting Windows use the whole drive, creating what it needs.

Here are steps, how to fix bootloader partition without reinstall:
1. Disconnect all your secondary drives leaving only OS drive;
2. Boot from windows installation media;
3. Use diskpart to format your bootloader partition (into fat32 file system);
4. Run startup repair after that;
5. Remove windows installation media, reboot and check if windows boots normally;
6. I it doesn't - then boot from windows installation media again, go to command prompt and execute
  • bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Solution

hillelslovak

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Could you include a step by step instruction on how to partition my bootloader partition?

You said in your 1st post, that your bootloader partition has turned into raw format.
So - partition already exists. Just fix it. No need to repartition.

Anyway - if you have deleted it, then you can recreate it with diskpart:
(this command is for uefi systems)
  • create partition efi size=n