Limiting Usage / Torrenting

aplayaz2000

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
My question is simple, how do I make it so that every user in my household has a cap or a limited usage of the internet. So they can't destroy the network when they choose to torrent.
Rules and conversation isn't an option.

I assume it's possible it doesn't sound too difficult... apparently it's called a " Q O S ". It seems to be a feature on your modem settings but for some reason my Hitron Rogers CGN3 doesn't seem to have an option anywhere. The only thing I could find was a WMM which seems like a QOS but for the wifi network.

So my question is how do I enable this QOS for my modem via ethernet ports... or does my Hitron just lack that capacity at all forcing me to buy a third party modem ? But that's probably such a hassle considering my Hitron isn't pennies. I'd be wasting my money on this crap in a sense.

Networking is something I never really got into... anyone with more knowledge than me could share some light.

And yes Rogers tech support is pretty useless.

I also find it hilarious stupid how one person torrenting can shut down the whole network. Disconnects and Slow Usage...

You likely are going to have to buy a different router. Since you have already looked and can not fix the QoS it is likely it does not have the feature. Even if it would most routers have some crappy high/medium/low stuff which means little. In addition it only limits upload speeds. With torrent you need a router that can limit upload and download speed to a fixed value for a certain ip address.

Many of the better tplink and asus routers have fair advacnced qos but you need to read the online manuals to be sure. Likely the cheapest way is to buy a mid priced router that support loading dd-wrt on it. The third party firmware tends to have the best option for limiting traffic. Unfortunately to do very complex things you need to edit firewall files in the underlying unix system. The gui can do quite a bit so it may be enough but all it really is doing is updating these same files.

Torrent is the hardest to stop. Most application response to packet loss is to reduce the rate it requests data. Torrent tends to decide that that seed is bad and just opens more. The problem is your router is discarding the data after it has already used your bandwidth to your house. The torrent machine never receives it but it still used the bandwidth.

Maybe the best option is to limit the traffic to ports 80 and 443. torrent can run on those but it is harder to setup. Torrent is a huge danger in most cases. It is seldom being used for legal purposes and you can get your internet connection terminated for doing it.....and if you do it a lot you will pay so much in legal fees that you can lose your house.