Please HELP URGENT

xXMonicornXx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I recently just built a new rig, only problem is, it won't boot. I've checked everything to make sure it is running properly. The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard is a tad older than my actual cpu though the specs said the cpu should be compatible. I don't have a CD-DVD reader so I can't run the bios CD that came with my MSI B150M Gaming Pro motherboard and nothing online on any of the help forums has given me any kind of help.... Does anyone know if I may have to update my BIOS to the latest 4.6 to enable compatibility with my gen 7 I3 7100 cpu?

Current build
MSI B150M Gaming Pro
Gen 7 Intel I3 7100
8GB (2x4GB)Team Elite Ram
500GB Hybrid Samsung HDD
EVGA 500W psu
(Yes I know it's a little outdated but what I could afford for now) Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card.

Please any advice on what to do would be hugely appreciated

bignastyid

Titan
You dont need an optical drive to upgrade the bios however it will require a skylake cpu is installed. Only a handful of motherboards support updating the bios with either no cpu or an unsupported cpu installed and yours isn't one of them. Unfortunately your options are limited. Buy or borrow a skylake cpu, pay a shop to upgrade the bios or return the board and get a b250 board.

Why would you need an optical drive ??
You flash the BIOS off USB from within the bios itself
Your issue is you need a compatible chip in the board to do that in the first place.

At the minute you're completely stuck , the main reason I push people to buy a 250 board if they're going for a kaby lake CPU because there is too much risk involved with outdated bios's on 110/150/170 boards

Beaten to it ;-)

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
You cant update with that cpu. Your gonna have to use a older cpu so you can boot it, then update the BIOS. Some boards will update with a usb drive.

xXMonicornXx

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Alight, Thanks guys. Really should've done a bit more research before ordering my parts but, thankfully it's nothing to hard to fix. I really appreciate you guys helping me!!