24 inch AOC G2460PF monitor

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Are there any better monitors than this one for the price? Budget is 200-250 usd. I do have a rx 480 so freesync would be nice. I'm upgrading from a standard 60hz 1080p monitor that is quite old.
I play a wide variety of games from mmorpg and fps games as well as open world games.

Specs
I5 4590
Rx 480
8gb ram
Seasonic 520 watt

Solution
I have this monitor and I have also used the Asus and BenQ equivalents, but I have an Nvidia card so I don't use Gsync. You get what you pay for. The black contrast leaves something to be desired and the colors are pretty washed out, but it does the job. I'm not going to say it's a bad monitor, because it isn't, but the panels on the BenQ and Asus are better at color reproduction and contrast. At the end of the day though, it's still 144hz (you can even OC it to 165) and the response time is excellent. I'd say get the BenQ if you're a VERY competitive CSGO player, the ASUS if you're more of a casual player, and the AOC if you're more of a casual player and want to save a few bucks.

EDIT: Also for some reason the backlight on the AOC is...

Lkaos

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/benq-xl2411t-1138877/review

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/reviews/benq-xl2411z-144hz-gaming-monitor-review/

https://www.monitornerds.com/benq-xl2411z-best-1080p-monitor-fps-gaming/

Why would anyone want Freesync or G-Sync anyways? A monitor is something that will last for ages, you now have a AMD GPU, will you buy another one when you upgrade GPU even if Nvidia has the better GPU then? It basically menas you'll be stuck with AMD GPU unitl the monitor dies or you choose to buy another one.... I dont think a monitor entitles such commitment....Nevermind the "development" both companies are trying to shove our throats...It's too early to pick a side...

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I understand it's a good monitor but those reviews still don't tell me what's the difference between the 2 other than the zowie looks bad out of the box and cost $80 more. I know I can't push 144 hz in all games I play which is why free sync is important to me which was also a factor in my gpu purchase since freesync is cheaper than gsync.

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I understand the concern of buying new gpus but if I don't plan on upgrading in the near future whether it be next Gen gpus or 2-3 years from now, why not use the technology on my card for smoother game play and why pay 80 more for that monitor when they are both 1ms TN 144 hz monitors? Does the zowie look better (not out of the box)? Or is there a flaw with the aoc? Doa and defects can happen with anything so I'm not concerned about that side of things. I just want to know what warrants the price difference between them if they are essentially the same technology

I have this monitor and I have also used the Asus and BenQ equivalents, but I have an Nvidia card so I don't use Gsync. You get what you pay for. The black contrast leaves something to be desired and the colors are pretty washed out, but it does the job. I'm not going to say it's a bad monitor, because it isn't, but the panels on the BenQ and Asus are better at color reproduction and contrast. At the end of the day though, it's still 144hz (you can even OC it to 165) and the response time is excellent. I'd say get the BenQ if you're a VERY competitive CSGO player, the ASUS if you're more of a casual player, and the AOC if you're more of a casual player and want to save a few bucks.

EDIT: Also for some reason the backlight on the AOC is really bright and can't be turned down to an acceptable night time level, I have it on 0 brightness all the time. Freesync doesn't matter for 144hz btw, if you're above 60fps then all it does is increase latency.

Solution