Changing Profile Folder icon (after screwing it up)

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Hi,

I followed the following directions to redirect most of my profile icons so that they would point to the storage disk instead of my SSD. Most of it worked OK, but I must have done something wrong, because the icon that shows up on "D/users/Steven" under Quick Links or This PC is now the icon for Pictures, when it should just be a folder. I can't seem to get it back to the folder icon, and you can't really customize the icons under Quick Links or This PC the normal way through Properties.

Here are the general directions I followed, but it was when I chose to move Pictures that this happened. I had to do a little surgery and now things are directing to the proper folders but it is just that I still have the pictures icon and not the folder icon showing up there.

The method used from http://forum.thewindowsclub.com:

"How to move user profile folders like Documents, Pictures, Music etc

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the special folder you wish to move located in C:\Users\<username>.

Right-click on the folder and select Properties.

Open Location tab and enter the desired new path. Click Move. It will open explorer dialog box. navigate to and select desired new location.

Or else manually enter the path.

Click Apply/OK.

You can do the same if you want to change the default location of the Documents folder in Windows."

Solution
Well, I figured it out. One of my registry values was showing the wrong path:

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

For My Pictures it was D:\Users\Steven and should have been D:\Users\Steven\Pictures

Now I can sleep again at night....

t53186

Distinguished
Suggest you go back where you found those directions and ask for help there, after all they seem to have come up with the instructions, should be the experts then.

Just be careful when moving "system" folders. Windows looks for specific items in default locations and if you move them be prepared for unexpected results.

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
I've had no luck by asking at the original site where I found the instructions (just crickets).

So, the Documents folder icon under This PC now shows up as a Pictures icon. Does anyone know who to fix this?

Thanks

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Well, I figured it out. One of my registry values was showing the wrong path:

Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

For My Pictures it was D:\Users\Steven and should have been D:\Users\Steven\Pictures

Now I can sleep again at night....

Solution

TRENDING THREADS