Can't rename folder without the software I'm using to rename it crashing?

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015
So, I'm having a really weird problem where I'm trying to rename a newly created folder, but for some reason my explorer keeps crashing, photoshop did too when it tried to rename it, and so did the Unity editor, and I'm pretty sure all other softwares will too.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a fix, but a explanation to why this is happening.

Solution
I keep a Linux Mint DVD handy for this kind of problem. I just boot that DVD and in a few minutes I'm able to rename the folder, then go back to Windows. You don't have to know anything about Linux to use the Mint version.

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

I think I was a little unclear, what I meant was that the folder was created by me, inside of my unity project, but for some reason when trying to rename it, whatever software I use to rename it, crashes.

So, I crated the folder, but I can't rename it because then things crash.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
I had a similar situation with a new laptop where when in Explorer I would right click on a file it would crash Explorer. It turns out that whatever PDF reader that was installed (Phantom PDF I think) added a setting to the Right Click context menu and as a result it would cause the crash. If you use CCleaner under Tools Startup section there is Context Menu tab which will allow you to see what programs have been added to the Right Context menu. Try disabling them 1 at a time and check if it stops the crash.

Happy Crayfish

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2015

Looks like it just started working again for some reason. I guess I'll never find out what caused it :/
Oh well, at least it's working.

I keep a Linux Mint DVD handy for this kind of problem. I just boot that DVD and in a few minutes I'm able to rename the folder, then go back to Windows. You don't have to know anything about Linux to use the Mint version.

Solution