Workable to play Blu-ray through HTPC or just get a stand alone player?

Bilious

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
I am planning to build a HTPC. I have been experimenting with VLC and am wondering if it is worthwhile to get a blu-ray drive or should I just get a stand alone player. The cost of the drive plus the software seems prohibitive. Has anyone found blu-ray via htpc to be workable? If so, what playback software do you use and does it integrate into your htpc interface software?

Solution
Agree with standalone.

If you are running linux on HTPC then forget about it (depending on linux build it can be done, but a huge PITA now and rquires continued support to play newest discs).

With windows you will need the drive, you will need the software and then you stil have to wory about regional compatibility, updates breaking and everything else. In the end it is just easier to run dedicated blu ray player.
From personal experience I'd suggest you go with a standalone Blu Ray player. Although it may be an additional box it does save a lot of hassle.

I originally bought a Blu Ray drive for my PC which included playback software, but Windows 10 rendered it useless and the company which released the software no longer support it. Playback on PC is still a bit patchy as I understand it (I personally never got VLC to work but that's just me). And yes, cost for the software is high enough to purchase an actual Blu Ray player where I am. So Blu Ray playback on PC no longer made sense for me.

Agree with standalone.

If you are running linux on HTPC then forget about it (depending on linux build it can be done, but a huge PITA now and rquires continued support to play newest discs).

With windows you will need the drive, you will need the software and then you stil have to wory about regional compatibility, updates breaking and everything else. In the end it is just easier to run dedicated blu ray player.

Solution