computer looses ethernet connection when it sleeps

xtal_01

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Soooo ... I have read a lot of posts on this subject but still not found an answer.

I have 4 computers networked together .... two windows 7 units, one linux unit and one windows 10 unit.

The problem is with the windows 10 unit.

When it goes to sleep, I loose my Ethernet connection.

I can actually watch on the other computers as the unit drops off the network (and out of the homegroup).

This means I can not talk to.

I need to walk over to it and actually wake it up ... then I see it come back up on the network.

Great unless I am in the shop rather than the house and I need to walk over to the house to wake it up.

I did all the things suggested including going into the Device Manager and making sure
1) that I have "allow the computer to turn off this device" ... not checked
2) "wake on magic packet" ... enabled
3) "wake on pattern match" ... enabled

Still when it goes to sleep, I loose the connection.

So, I now tell the computer not to sleep .... enter "never" in both "sleep" under power and sleep and "never" under sleep in the "additional power settings".

The problem is, now my hard driver never sleeps!

Even if I have not used the computer for several hours, it is still spinning and the light flashes about once every 10 seconds.

My problem is, I can't believe it is good for the drive to run 24/7!

When I had it in sleep mode, saw (and could hear) that the drive stopped .... did not run for most of the day since I only use my computer for a hour or two at most each day.

Now the drive is running all the time. I assume it will fail a lot sooner doing this.

So, what am I missing?

Is there some setting in Windows 10 where I can tell the computer .... or more correctly the hard drive .... to shut down without loosing the Ethernet connection so that I can access this computer on the network when I want to?

Thanks so much ...... Mike

xtal_01

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I am looking at the adapter in right now in the Device Manager.

Under Power Manager I have one block in back and two greyed out.

The one in black say "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

I do not have a check in the box beside this line.

This was actually checked originally in the compute but I had read I need to uncheck this so I did.

This did not solver the problem.

When I do check the box, I lines under it go black and say "allow this device to wake the computer" and "only allow a magic packet to wak the computer".

I was sure this was the solution when I read it ... but as I said, still the same problem.

Any other things you can suggest I try?

Thanks so much ...... Mike

It should not have this box checked as you want to prevent the ethernet port from turning off

You will still loose network connectivety to the drives if it goes into sleep mode though.
My appolgies i did nto read your initial post as thoroughly as I should have.

You cant put your PC to sleep for your goals.
You need to dissable sleep, then go to advanced powe rsettings in the power options, select NEVER for the power option.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
i dont have an answer or at least not yet.
But can I assume you want the PC to wake up when you need access to it remotely.
Generally when a computer is asleep it wont respond to much unless its a scheduled app or some external stimuli like mouse/keyboard and wake on LAN

If its wake on LAN, make sure you have to correct network adapter drivers. Windows will install the driver itself, but for example, the full Intel ProSet software has additional tools or options that may or may not affect the wake on LAN option.

You should also see if there are option in BIOS under power management that may alter how wake on LAN works.

xtal_01

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

This is what I have done so that I don't loose my connection. I have told the computer never to go asleep.

My question then becomes, am I killing my hard drive? As I said, when the computer is not asleep, even if it has sat for a day or two, the hard drive light is still flashing every 10 seconds or so and I can feel and hear that the hard drive is s till running. I am afraid running the hard driver 24/7 will kill the drive ... will it?

Thanks ..... Mike

xtal_01

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I just went though my bios. this is an old computer (about 2008) but it works.

I have all the "wake up" commands turned on.

I have the ACPI standby state set to S1

I am not sure what else I can change in bios.

I looked and the built in Ethernet chip is a Marvell Yukon 88E8056.

The computer says it is using a microsoft driver.

The marvell web site does not list a windows 10 driver.

They do list a windows 8 driver.

Should I try using the windows 8 driver or stick to the microsoft driver?

Thanks ..... Mike

TRENDING THREADS