144hz vs 240hz with g-sync

Qtroz1

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Hi,
If i got a 240hz monitor(Asus pg258q) and my pc can acctually run bf1 at around 150fps, will there be a problem like tearing or whatever??????
And the second thing is will it make a big differnce between a regular 144hz and the 240hz in games that i can get high framerates at like csgo??

If not what do you think i should get:
Asus Pg258q 240hz+g-sync
Or
Asus vg248qe?

Solution
If your frame rate is that high on a monitor with that refresh rate I doubt you are going to notice any artifacts. The screen will be refreshing as fast as needed. I'm not a monitor expert by any means but I'm not really sure if there is a perceivable difference between 144hz and 240hz. You can definitely tell between 60hz and 144hz but after that I think diminishing returns sets in. After a while higher refresh rates and fps just becomes numbers. If your not dipping under 60 fps you should be fine. Gsync will help keep everything smooth if you drop low but it doesn't sound like that is a problem.

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
If your frame rate is that high on a monitor with that refresh rate I doubt you are going to notice any artifacts. The screen will be refreshing as fast as needed. I'm not a monitor expert by any means but I'm not really sure if there is a perceivable difference between 144hz and 240hz. You can definitely tell between 60hz and 144hz but after that I think diminishing returns sets in. After a while higher refresh rates and fps just becomes numbers. If your not dipping under 60 fps you should be fine. Gsync will help keep everything smooth if you drop low but it doesn't sound like that is a problem.

Solution

Tanoxil

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Jacoblairm

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017

What? So when I play a 30 tick BF4 server I should play at 30hz otherwise its "useless"???

Qtroz1

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
What? So when I play a 30 tick BF4 server I should play at 30hz otherwise its "useless"???[/quotemsg]

Am not sure about this but i will tell you what i know.

I dont think it works this way.
I think that you are actually playing with your monitor refresh rate (144hz) but the game needs to send the information back to the server in 30hz.
So you might have some problems in hit registration or in some things you already did in the game.
Lets say that On your screen it appears that you already ran behind the wall but you died, thats because the information sent to the server was the information before you even got covered by the wall.
And i think it also depends on the game engine itself.

Still am not an expert in such things so it might be wrong.
You can still search though :)

timetodip

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I am incredibly sorry I couldn't write sooner but since I noticed many of the people answering these question have not given you informative answers I would like to help.

1. No matter what game you are playing 240 hz will always be better this will not depend on the servers refresh rate. The fact that you monitor will be able to process 240 frames per second will only ever be influenced by your fps. So if CSGO is using 128tick servers or 500tick servers it doesn't matter because your experience on a 240hz monitor will always be better then on a 144hz monitor.

2. As for the colour yes IPS monitors do give better colours and build quality.. But do you really need it? If you are a gamer you must have learned a long time ago that sometimes you need to sacrifice quality for performance and a medium priced 240hz monitor will outperform a 144hz monitor in terms of input lag and refresh rate.

3. It really depends on your preferences, will you be using it for gaming 95%? (Then get the 240hz TN monitor) will you be using it for watching movies or video editing (get an IPS monitor). But personally I think the ASUS PG 258 Q has amazing colours and is definitely not a bad investment. Although ACER, Benq and AlienWare each have their own flagship 240hz monitors out so it might be worth taking a look at.

Hope this helped :)

Qtroz1

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the xl2540 and compared it to the xl2430t and the pg248q which is overclockable to 180hz, at first i didn't like the "overclock" in the pg248q cause it was making artifacts and lines which were really anoyying specially in dark areas.

And as for the xl2540 and the xl2430t, there was a diffrence but it wasnt that noticable i think, i mean it doesn't improve your skill's or change the game, and tbh i don't play cs that much and i didnt ever wanted to be a "competiteve" player, so the 144 was pretty much enough for me.

Even though, i dont think that 240hz is really that important as a gaming thing, i believe its just for the ads and attracting gamers more. Just like the gaming chairs.

Anyway am so happy rn with the xl2430t and i think i will not be changing it unless it dies or i wanted to upgrade to a better resulotion monitor.

Thanks again bro :)