A+ and Network+ or College Certifications

Antho694

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hi all,

I recently graduated college with a BS in Homeland Security. I originally had a minor in Computer Science, to get my foot in the door for something in network security, but due to scheduling issues I could not keep it, so I decided to do some certifications once my undergrad degree is complete. Now that my 4 year degree is over, I'm kind of stuck on which certification path to take.

Originally was thinking of going for either an A+ or a Network+ cert, and then starting on a Security+ after I land my first job. However, I found out that my school offers certificate programs that I can start right away. One is a general Information Technology certification, and the other is a certification in Networking Technologies and Applications. Considering the position I am in now, what would seem like a better path to help with getting my foot in the door in networking or IT?

Solution
I am currently working as a lead in a helpdesk that deals with government contracts. Being that you have interest in homeland security I thought that might be useful to know. I do not have a degree, however the lady friend does and works at the same place. We are both less than a year of experience and the company we work for pays for us to get the Comp TIA certs. Currently A+ is required for our tier 1 team, which troubleshoots and remotes into users machine to fix them, manages in AD etc. Network team required Net+ on top of that and Sec + is preferred and necessary on our security team. I got lucky as my company pays for us to take the certs at least once so its a no brainer for our situation.

I do see value in getting the...
OK... Seen this, done that...

Goto the Networking Technologies and Applications cert program and try to get into a Tech Company in the Tech Support Department. It is the easiest way to use the system to get into IT or the Development departments. Get the entry lvl job and learn aggressively, take advantage to any opportunities to extend your knowledge of the products and systems at that company. After about a year and 3 of 5 of the NT&A cert completed, try to get into QA or IT directly, if that is what you want. Finish the cert program and, if you still want more try for one of the Cisco or Juniper tests. All those skills and certs = more $$.

Go for it!

Antho694

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I was leaning towards going with the NT&A Program through my school. My only question though would be how much weight does something like that carry in comparison to an outside certification similar to something entry level that I Would? I know experience is really the heaviest deciding factor int his field. I have been working on computers and network systems as a hobby since I was young but really no business or work experience in this regard.

itslockdown

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
I am currently working as a lead in a helpdesk that deals with government contracts. Being that you have interest in homeland security I thought that might be useful to know. I do not have a degree, however the lady friend does and works at the same place. We are both less than a year of experience and the company we work for pays for us to get the Comp TIA certs. Currently A+ is required for our tier 1 team, which troubleshoots and remotes into users machine to fix them, manages in AD etc. Network team required Net+ on top of that and Sec + is preferred and necessary on our security team. I got lucky as my company pays for us to take the certs at least once so its a no brainer for our situation.

I do see value in getting the jump start through programs as you mentioned, but it seems like that route is simply paying for the easier road, either way like you said, experience is the true factor when it comes down to you vs someone else on a job app.

Side note, I have a lot of customer service experience which is how I got my foot in the door, have been promoted twice in less than a year and have gotten my A+.

Solution