Strange User Account Control Behavior- What's wrong with it?

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I got strange problem. When I want to install a driver or a program and I double click on the file, I hear the sound (Windows sound, which is usually happens when some other dialog is open), then the Windows Explorer freezes and the cursor turns in to spinning circle as if it was processing. This continues for 3-4 minutes, then User Account Control appears asking if I want to allow this program to change this computer. My UAC was set to 2nd lowest position. By default it set to 3rd with dimming the screen when it asks yes or no. So I lower it to 2nd position and it was supposed to just ask without dimming the screen, but looks like something is wrong with it as it hangs Windows Explorer and then the dialog pops up as if it was sitting behind the frozen WExplorer window.

So I increased it back to 3rd position and it acts normally- dims the screen and asks if I want to allow... It also works fine when in lower position- when it does nothing.

It started happening after computer was not able to restart and I had to use Reset button. It was sitting on "Restarting' screen for like 10 minutes, so I hit Reset. And then the problem started. Did something get corrupted? Have you experienced similar behavior? Thank you.

Solution
I only spent 15 minutes researching an answer for you, but from what I have read, the slow UAC prompt is usually caused by a bad graphics driver.

I also read that when the prompt is shown, it is putting a strain on the graphics driver and hard drive. However I think it's possible for an audio driver to be causing the problem also.

Consider uninstalling the driver that you most suspect to be causing the problem and see if the UAC delay is gone at that point. If so, then you know the driver was causing the problem and may want to look into finding older drivers for that hardware, or getting tech support from the hardware manufacturer.

Astralv

Distinguished

It is a new build. I installed Video drivers for the first time the other day, also I installed many drivers today for my audio equipment. the first time it acted strange, it was driver for older gear but the date of the driver was February 2017 and it says- it was updated and digitally signed. Did not have a chance to check the hardware for it to see if it working. Also how does it work? Is it because bad driver is installed or is it corrupted User Account Control app? Is it an app?

gardenman

Splendid
I only spent 15 minutes researching an answer for you, but from what I have read, the slow UAC prompt is usually caused by a bad graphics driver.

I also read that when the prompt is shown, it is putting a strain on the graphics driver and hard drive. However I think it's possible for an audio driver to be causing the problem also.

Consider uninstalling the driver that you most suspect to be causing the problem and see if the UAC delay is gone at that point. If so, then you know the driver was causing the problem and may want to look into finding older drivers for that hardware, or getting tech support from the hardware manufacturer.

Solution