Radiator and engine

Sweet43

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
While I was driving, all of a sudden water squirts out the hood of my vehicle onto my windshield and car starts overheating. As long as I had water in it, it would last a little longer without overheating to the max. Of course, water leaks out and I have to drive five miles without it. The car stops running and I am on the side of the road. It will not start when it is hot, but starts to crank when cooling down. I still could not start it up fully to drive because it was not cooled enough. Mechanic changed the radiator because it was cracked. Thinking everything was alright, the car still had a problem. He said there was no oil on the dipstick and I may have to get a new motor. Could the motor had cause radiator to crack or vice versa. Could it had been driving after the overheating caused the motor to mess up? Could it be that no oil caused all these problems? I am months away from finished paying for my car and hate to purchase a new one because I hate making payments. Does a entire motor have to be replaced? Sorry so long. Thanks.

it was the leaky rad,and consequently the overheating that cooked your engine.if it did indeed quit on you it would have been so hot that it would have caused extensive damage.it was,however,pretty irresponsible of the mechanic to start by putting a new rad in considering the circumstances.with that much overheating he should have advised you of other probable problems.

considering most modern engines have aluminum heads if not blocks as well,even a moderate overheating problem can lead to a blown headgasket and or a warped head.consider also that the pistons are also made of aluminum and are subject to warping.even the piston rings (made of steel)can loose their temper and cause massive oil consumption among other things.modern engines just dont take the heat that well.

APSK

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
1. Could the motor had cause radiator to crack or vice versa.
No, that's not how it works, raditator crack is either due to physical damage or because the radiator has been run on empty for quite a while that one of the pipes got damaged or cracked, possibly the ones on the top.

2. Could it had been driving after the overheating caused the motor to mess up?
Yes, but modern engines have plenty of fail safes so motor should be fine unless its very old.

3.Could it be that no oil caused all these problems?
Yes and no, no oil light should've shown up in dashboard if it was the case, if it didn't its quite possible the oil was burnt due to overheating.

4. Does a entire motor have to be replaced?
No, you can have the motor rebuild, but only if the problem is in the engine block. I advice you to take the car to a reputed mechanic or an authorized dealer, preferably old and reputed.

its not the rad that will tend to crack,but rather the head(most likely)or the block(least likely).as for failsafes,there are none if you continue driving after overheating.i think its time to know what make and model we are dealing with before any expensive repairs.