BSOD loop from Win 10 Touchpad driver install Acer V5-573G

Ed_20_

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Dear all,

A complicated issue that I seem to have isolated to a windows driver for my Acer V5-573G touchpad. I was installing an update for my nvidia GPU when I suffered a system crash and my touchpad stopped responding - initially I though this was a software issue, however, as I became stuck in a BSOD loop (system restore and safe mode would not work) I was forced to conduct a clean install of windows - and the touch pad still wouldn't work, to make matters worse the BSOD loop came back after updates were installed. I managed to isolate this to the ELAN driver that Win 10 was downloading for my touchpad. The touchpad is listed with an error 24 code code in device manager which makes me think this is a hardware issue now (I've tried updating/resetting the BIOS to no avail). I have tried other drivers and whilst they do not give the touchpad functionality they do not cause a BSOD loop (fault in nonpaged area). However, Windows will still try and update the problematic driver. How can I prevent this and does this indeed look like a hardware issue? I have turned off driver updates but it always seems to get through somehow. I have disconnected the touchpad ribbon from the mobo but Win 10 still attempts to install drivers for it, and there is no touchpad option in the BIOS screen. Many thanks for your time.