What will happen if I soft reset my custom built Windows 10 PC?

hanlonrhys

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
I have a custom built PC running Windows 10. In the Recovery portion of Settings, I have the option to "Reset this PC". I would do so whilst keeping all of my personal files, but I'm wondering if it would end up deleting my drivers and such for each component of my PC and how I would either get around that, or go about sorting it after the reset.
Or is it not worth doing at all?

Solution
Reset keeping files and settings will keep library folders (like Documents, music, pictures, movies) and settings - logins. Everything else on C drive is deleted

It will only touch C drive, so anything on other hard drives will be left alone. It deletes all drivers and will attempt to find replacements for them once Win 10 installed again. Best idea is check motherboard makers web site after its done and see if any new drivers there for board. Same applies to Nvidia or AMD GPU drivers though Windows will find them for you.

I would backup anything on C you cannot afford to lose, just in case the reset doesn't work out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reset keeping files and settings will keep library folders (like Documents, music, pictures, movies) and settings - logins. Everything else on C drive is deleted

It will only touch C drive, so anything on other hard drives will be left alone. It deletes all drivers and will attempt to find replacements for them once Win 10 installed again. Best idea is check motherboard makers web site after its done and see if any new drivers there for board. Same applies to Nvidia or AMD GPU drivers though Windows will find them for you.

I would backup anything on C you cannot afford to lose, just in case the reset doesn't work out.

Solution