Amplifier or Head Unit LP/HP filters?

hyzzle

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I've always received good information from the tom's Hardware forums with my computer issues so now I'm bringing my car audio question into the fray. I have a 2013 hyundai elantra gls with out the nav system (one step down from the top end). I put 2xBOSS AUDIO P65.4C 6.5" 4-Way 800W Car Coaxial Speakers Stereo P654C, 2x Kicker 40CS654 6.5 inch 2-Way Speakers in the front and rear doors, 2x Infinity Reference 1262w 12-Inch 1200-Watt (Dual Voice Coil) Subs in a sealed box in the trunk, running off a BOSS AUDIO PV3700 Phantom 3700-Watt Full Range, Class A/B 2-8 Ohm Stable 5 Channel Amplifier, and a Sony Model: MEXXB100BT head unit. The system sounds great, plenty of power, but my question is should I use the hpf/lpf filters that are in the amplier (which are just small knobs with only a minimum and maximum mark (LPF 50hz-120hz, HPF 50hz-250hz). The sony HU has settings for both ranges are:
LPF- 50hz-60hz-80hz-100hz-120Hz with a slope setting of 1,2,or 3
HPF- off-50hz-60hz-80hz-100hz-120hz with a slope setting of 1,2,3
I have no idea how the slopes actually affect the drop off. I don't know which filters to use. I don't want to be cancelling out tones due to a conflict in the hardware. I have all the bass boosts off (not needed) and the sub woofer level is at 0. I know setting a proper HPF will really drive home the tight responsive bass vs having it taper off, and it's hard to nail down a precise setting when there are two filters and one of which there's way to tell exactly what it is set on. Thanks in advance for any response.

Solution
To be honest mate, it is all sown to personal preference! I spent hours trying to get a 'uniform' sound on my systems in the past, and thats what is is really. Think about what sort of music you listen to most, and find an empty carpark or area where you are not gonna annoy people and spent a while listening at high (but reasonable) levels, and see what each frequency does to your sound! You may find that the pre-set levels are good for you, but without testing, and pushing the system, you cant really make an educated setting.
This is how i used to do it, and it worked well for my systems.
Hope this helps!
Have fun!
Kenton.

Kenton82

Reputable
To be honest mate, it is all sown to personal preference! I spent hours trying to get a 'uniform' sound on my systems in the past, and thats what is is really. Think about what sort of music you listen to most, and find an empty carpark or area where you are not gonna annoy people and spent a while listening at high (but reasonable) levels, and see what each frequency does to your sound! You may find that the pre-set levels are good for you, but without testing, and pushing the system, you cant really make an educated setting.
This is how i used to do it, and it worked well for my systems.
Hope this helps!
Have fun!
Kenton.

Solution

hyzzle

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

I you would have read my post correctly, then you would have read in there that I like my amplifier and was not asking to try to make it perform in a way it was not designed for. I simply asked which crossover filter would be better to use because the receiver and the amp have them. Plus some information on how the steep the slope drop off was. Next time you feel the need to answer some please pay attention to what they asked, and use their name...