ASRock 970M Pro3 not posting, but fans are working

Flo_3_

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
So, i will try to keep this short. i'm pretty sure the mobo is dead anyways, i just want you to have a look over it and maybe collect some saving ideas before buying a new one.

i bought a used, but "as new" labelled ASRock 970M Pro3 AM3+ for my new PC build. now i try to build the pc itself, but the motherboard is not working in any means.

2 strange things:
- despite the fact that nothing happens, the fans always run at full speed - also the chassis and graphics card fans.
- this always happens immediately when plugging in the PS (plug in, because it doesn't have a switch - for some reason nobody knows). nothing can influence it, not the power or reset button nor anything else. maybe i should add that the power led works.

what does NOT happen:
- no boot noises
- no bios beep codes
- no slow down of the fans (longest test: ~15min)
- no video output
- no SATA devices are being used

things i tried:
- checked for all the hardware if it's fine. PS works with other PCs, the rest is removable without any effect (even the CPU). that's why i won't bother giving you detailed specs.
- player around with several combinations of "plug out this, plug in that"

so to conclude this: the only things that seem have any effect are: removing the fans and cutting the power. and throwing the god damn thing out of the window, but, whatever.

oh, and one thing that might be interesting: i the mainboard requires an 8-pin 12V ATX cable, i only have a 4-pin version which i use instead. could this cause such behavior? or is the mainboard really wasted money?

btw, PS is dps-475-cba. thanks for any help you can give me!

Flo_3_

Commendable
Feb 11, 2017
in case anyone else has this problem: it's indeed the PS. i borrowed a proper one, and now it works. now to find a decent PS for the price ;)

TRENDING THREADS