HDD to SSD without cloning.

samdf96

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
I recently had an ssd failure, and had installed windows 10 on an HDD in the meantime, while another drive want sent to me. Now I am trying to move everything back onto the new SSD. All my research yields to use a cloning tool to do this, however I have also seen stories on problems arising from this process.

Is it possible to use another external HDD to backup my system, and then use that to install my system on the SSD? I do not mind sitting through installing a new windows 10 install on the ssd at all. For example (since I have been a long time mac user as well): Is there an equivalent system for the windows operating software to this example? Using Time Machine back up, and when setting up a new computer, you can plug in that time machine backup external drive and it will just transfer your whole system like it was but on a new mac?

Solution
I have been told that this process should work fine for cloning
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have been told that this process should work fine for cloning
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3350188/windows-ssd-separate-partitions-2017.html#last-response-on-page

but I understand your not wanting to try it

I would be more inclined to backup everything onto a external drive (copy/paste, not a backup program) and fresh install win 10 & copy everything back over once its installed. But then you still have to wipe the other install at some stage

Solution