Best budget 4K display for gaming?

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi!

I'm planning to get the new 1080 Ti,but I was worried about CPU bottleneck( I have a 4770K). I looked around and realised I have two choices: Either I buy a new CPU,mobo and RAM,and get maybe 10-15% performance(7700K),or I get a 4K display. At 4K I'll definitly be GPU limited and it is time to switch from my old 1920x1200 display. Now unfortunately I won't have that much money left after buying the Ti so price is key here. I found the Asus MG24UQ display, now this is a 24" display,but it's 4K so it has really high pixel density and 24" is an acceptable size for a display in my opinion. It's an IPS panel so the colors are better looking then on most TN panel displays and it has a 4ms response time,which isn't bad imo(my old display had 5ms). It's a 60 Hz display,I think thats enough for 4K,even the 1080 Ti will have a hard time at 4K with maxed out graphics to push out 60 fps in more demanding new titles. And since its 24" and 21:9 i can just go back to WQHD,from 4K if my PC will haveing trouble dealing with 4K in certain games,and still won't notice much of a difference. So with that being said,what do you guys think? Is this a good gaming display? Or can you recommand something better around this price point? Thank you guys for the help and have a nice day!

1) You have almost the fastest gaming CPU there is. You would NOT gain more than 10% performance with another CPU. Total waste of money upgrading that.

(and RYZEN is slower BTW).

2) 4K monitor?
You said it's 21:9 so how does that work?

*anyway, you can run the game at whatever resolution you want. Probably 2560x1440 (if it is a 4K monitor) for most, 4K only if there's a visual BENEFIT and you can maintain a mostly solid 60FPS experience.

Good gaming monitor?
I love my 2560x1440 IPS, 60Hz, 27". Yours is on the small side but it's still going to give you a great experience, especially if you sit closer.

3) GSYNC MONITOR:
If you don't have one of those then you don't have the best gaming experience.

*My advice is get the GTX1080Ti, keep the current monitor, then later buy a GSYNC monitor (possibly 27", 2560x1440 144Hz) or even a newer 4K with 100Hz+

Gaming is smoother with less lag (don't use VSYNC). For some games it's a huge difference.

**My "holy grail" specs for a monitor are:

- GSYNC
- 100Hz+
- 4K. 27" to 32" (possibly curved), or
- 3440x1440 35" (curved)
- HDR
- Quantum Dot (or OLED later)

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

Thank you for your help! So this Dell is better then the Asus I mentioned? Same price,seemingly same specifications(both 24", both 4K, both 60Hz, both IPS panel,but this has 6ms repsonse time,the asus has 4),but if this is better then I guess I'm getting this one! Thanks again!

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

Thank you for your help!

Yeah,CPUs haven't got that much faster in the past couple years,however GPUs are, and because of that certain games can be bottlenecked at 1080p by the CPU. With those games however,I probably even get bottlenecked by the 7700K,maybe a little less so then by the 4770k. Thats why i rather buy a new display then a new CPU,mobo,ect... Well I said thet 4K is 21:9 and WQHD also,so as you mentioned if I can't get optimal performance at 4K,I'll just go with WQHD and with a 24" screen it would still look pretty sharp. Gsync sounds nice but most Gsync displays are very expensive,especially the 4K ones :/ If you can recommend one at my price point that would be nice. I think 60 Hz is fine for a 4K display at the moment, I don't think I can get much more fps then 60 at 4K if i plan to play everything on the maximum settings.