Warranties should cover insects causing damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Note: This is only regarding pre-built, store bought computers on warranty. Never opened.

I have been wondering lately about a bug crawling into the computer case and causing damage.

This led me to think that if a bug ever did cause damage to a computer, this should be covered by the warranty since this is the fault of the manufacturer not building the case to ensure bugs cant get in. It can be completely enclosed, and still have very small air holes to prevent anything getting inside.

Do you agree or disagree?

Edit: Ive never had any issues with my PC and bugs, but I do fear the possibility.

The term "bug" comes from exactly that occurence.

https://thenextweb.com/shareables/2013/09/18/the-very-first-computer-bug/#.tnw_MrWsirtr

But as todays computers do not have relays, the possibility of an insect causing damage seems quire remote.

I have seen mice in computers. But, no, making the holes small enough to keep all size insects out would easily clog with dust and cause overheating. The user has a responsibility to maintain their system and this includes periodic cleaning.

seen spiders and their webs in a few pcs

though they caused no problem

but no not the manufacturers responsibility

same could apply to for example your car and other stuff that has any opening at all

not sure what sort of insects you have there though that would damage a computer lol and be found in your house/office etc

not really

if you failed to check oil,brake fluid,clutch fluid etc

and caused damage that would be your fault by neglect--not something done on purpose

pretty sure car manufacters/dealers would say the same if an army of rampaging ants got in your car and chewed all the wiring to shreds or something

not their responsibilty totally out of their control

would be an insurance job and even then might be classed as an act of god or something so they get out of paying out

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Im just using it as an example for unintentional damage to a part. For an engine the damage would more likely be "water got into my intake during a rainy day and hydrolocked my engine" which would be covered.

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Of course because not changing those fluids is a user fault.
In this situation, you can keep a computer case as clean and dust-free as possible, a bug can still crawl in.

USAFRet

Titan

Strongly disagree.
A PC case cannot be 100% sealed. Even when off, the fans provide an inlet for creepy crawlies.

Even monitors are not immune
pmqc44M.gif

Before that HP monitor went to the Recycle Bin in the sky, I called him "Squishy".

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Since everyone seems to disagree, what do you think of window-like screens that are removable to blow the dust off, and then re-attach it? This would be ugly but would also be a solution.

USAFRet

Titan

That's a design issue, as in "what idiot designed the air intake like that?"
But yes, that would probably be covered under warranty.

USAFRet

Titan

Sure. a LOT of cases have those. And not ugly.
My Corsair has a large screen filter on the front, to trap dust being sucked in via the fans.
Can't see it because it is behind the front fascia.

can also buy magnetic dust filters for some places in the case the maker didnt put a filter

or put your whole pc in a pair of your wifes/girlfriends or your own if that way inclined nylon stockings lol

pc would look like a bank robber but no bugs would get in

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Do you have a link to something like this? I cant seem to find one online.

have a look here

magnetic or stick on ones

http://www.demcifilter.com/

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Thanks

Just about every decent case on the market includes dust filters. Of course, if you go extreme low budget, they won't be there but that again is a "buyer beware" issue.

The problem remains however that intake filters are usually provided, therefore where air exits the PC, these will not be present. There is sound reasoning why they are not present as filters restrict air flow ... and negligent users don't tend to clean intake filters. The potential damage from inadequate air flow far exceeds that of an insect. Putting them on the exhaust areas is something I'd strongly recommend against as it would trap dust inside the case and severely limit case cooling which presents a real concern.

Again, I have taken insects and mice (less so) out of users PCs on dozens of occasions, I have yet to see any evidence of damage caused by them seeking out a warm and cozy home for themselves.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/

Impossible to keep a PC chassis bug-free unless it's totally sealed at all the seams, joints, slot backplates and ports.

Such a PC wouldn't run for very long, just long enough for the internals to reach a critical temperature.

Therefore your suggestion just isn't practical.

Besides, I've never heard of a pre-built PC being damaged by bugs, all it takes is an air-blower twice a year to blast them out along with the accumulated dust.

Freezing

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

So if a bug got into my PC while it was off, and then I turned it on and started gaming, and it started crawling across my GPU, motherboard, hard drives, would it cause any damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.