Looking for critique on my PC build

BouncyMan

Reputable
May 8, 2014

Looks pretty good, the only 2 things I would say is, the power supply unit could be dropped to 600-650 watts with a higher rating, and I don't trust sea gate hard drives and I always use western digital.

Daniel_455

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

Thank you for your input.. I was thinking the additional wattage would accommodate ODD or additional HDDs in future. I'll also look for a higher rating 600W.

Do you have any recommendations for an UPS?

BouncyMan

Reputable
May 8, 2014

Really depends how long you want it to last. I for instance bought the most overkill powersupply unit so I almost never have to buy another one again. I bought an EVGA 1000 P2 that has a 10 year warranty for my 970 SLI rig. You can buy a 750w with a bronze rating or you could poke a bigger hole in your wallet for a platinum rated one for a longer warranty and longer life. Just preference.

I wouldn't recommend the FX 8350 or the AM3+ platform at all at this point, they're simply too old and tend to lose out to similarly priced Intel chips in most workloads once you factor in the FX 8350 needing a more expensive motherboard to avoid throttling and an aftermarket CPU cooler being almost mandatory unless you spend a little extra to get the 8350 with the Wraith cooler. What are you going to use this computer for? What is your budget, and where do you live? That would help in coming up with a better option.

If you absolutely insist on getting the FX 8350, don't get the ASRock Extreme 3 motherboard, it has weak VRMs that will throttle the FX 8350 in heavy load situations. Get the Gigabyte GA-970A UD3P if you want a 970 chipset board, or get a 990FX chipset board, those won't throttle the 8350.