What can I backup?

jasonsansburn

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
So my MSI B150 and i7-6600 arrive today and I'm backing stuff up, mostly all my DAW templates and other music stuff. BUT, can I backup games so they don't have to be reinstalled? I've heard of people copying their steamapps folder, but I'm more interested in my uplay games (wildlands and siege) sadly...cause ubisoft sucks, but that's what my friends and I are playing right now. I was thinking of just copying the full ubisoft game launcher folder. Let me know!

Also, has anyone used a keyshop to purchase a windows key? I've used g2a.com flawlessly for years now, but the windows key section seems less promising than others.

Thanks!

Naw, you backup the saves but not the installations.
e
I use grey markets but Tom's dosn't like us to mention them, i say go for it, but there are better grey market sites than the one you have listed.

On most games you can backup the saved game data but you will still need to reinstall a program.

Buy a legit copy of windows, not one from those shady keyshops.
You woulndn't buy a windows license from some guy on the street corner that hands youa key written down ona piece of a paper.
These keys are bassically stolen and eventually the real owner will activate the key and then yours will be deactivated.

Boosted, that is a slippery slope argument... I'm all for obeying the rules and not promoting the sites - but to say they are stolen and comparing them to a street criminal is pretty shady.

Is it shady to go to Burundi or the Republic of Congo and buy full, legit copies of windows for pennies? Windows is priced cheaply there because their people cannot afford it. It is shady, but not as bad as you say. The copies are accounted for and i have never had a deactivation, ever. I have never heard of a deactivation, ever. And if i did - these are reputable sites with their names on the line - they will make it right even if things do go wrong.

Are they a microsoft certified resaler......NO. Thus they are are not legitamate.
And to answer your question, YES actually it is shady and illegal to go to those places in africa and then resale it to people in USA/Eurpoe, you might want to do some research on international commerce.
If you have never heard of a key-store key being deactivated then you have not looked very hard on this fourm or anywhere on the interent.

Most of these sites get keys that are slotted for MSDN and corporate subscriptions in the hopes that that specific key is never activated. In a large corporate environment you have hundreds of computers imaged off of the same windows key, which is completley fine as long as each computer has a paid for license for its own unique key. This is exactly what Dell and all the other OEMs do. They all ship with the same Dell license key, but each computer has its own license as well.
Thus these sites are banking on the fact that the PC will never be activated with its own unique key vs the key used to image all of the computers.